1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Referal to Occupational Health

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by choccyicecreamyum, Apr 6, 2011.

1. Ah well that's the rub. Following a tragic event in my personal life I have hit the bottle in a big way. I thought I could carry on but obviously not. In order to hide this problem I made up a series of appointments/sickness episodes to do with a condition that I actually have. Now it has all come crashing down around my ears but at least it has been a wake up call. I have made a gp appopintment to get this sorted out but am worried about fessing up. With the job situation as it is I am terrified which in itself will take its toll.

I realise I have been extremely foolish if not dishonest and am trying not to go to the supermarket again.

2. lilykitty

lilykitty New commenter

You are beating yourself up just when you're trying hardest to get the help you need. You didn't make things up so you could go shopping or catch up with 'To Buy or Not to Buy'. You did it because you were overwhelmed and couldn't cope. It's in a lot of people's nature to try and keep up a front of coping in these situations, and we do whatever we can to keep it going. In your case you used alcohol to help you pretend you could manage. When this falls apart, we feel ashamed and like failures.
    You're not foolish or dishonest, you're just not coping. This is what human beings do when they are not coping.
    Get an appointment with your GP ASAP. Get signed off from school and start getting the help you need.
    Now is not the time to think about how you are going to sort things out with school. Once you are well, you will be able to deal with all that.
    Take care of yourself.

3. Not sure about access to your medical records but when my HT asked OH for information about me they said they were not able to give her any without my permission and the reports were, as the other poster stated, agreed with me so that I was happy with what they contained. Ironically I wasnt actually bothered about HT knowing details but OH took it upon herself to keep it confidential.