1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Redundancy

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by fudgeface, Mar 22, 2012.

1. fudgeface

fudgeface Occasional commenter

If I were to take voluntary redundancy and am successful in getting a job elsewhere before May 31st, would I lose my redundancy?

2. fudgeface

If I were to take voluntary redundancy and am successful in getting a job elsewhere before May 31st, would I lose my redundancy?

3. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

There are usually restrictions regarding redundancy that mean if a job was secured prior to the redundancy finalisation you would effectively no longer be 'redundant'. There is, however, nothing to stop you getting a job post the finalisation of your redundancy package.

4. fudgeface

Just to clarify - I will receive notice of redundancy on or before May 31st with contract terminated on 31st August.

What would mean I would lose any pay out?

5. trinity0097

trinity0097 New commenter

I'm not an expert, but I think if you get redundancy you can't go straight into another teaching job. I worked at a school where a member of the SMT was made redundant, but started work again (as a class teacher) a week into the Autumn term for the same school!

6. I know a teacher who accepted redundancy but then wasn't allowed to get another job as a teacher for a set period of time (might have been 3 or 6 months?) - otherwise they wouldn't have been able to keep the pay out. She had to go and work in a shop for a few months and then got another teaching job. If you secure another job then I would steer clear of the redundancy offer - it doesn't exactly help having that written on your job history for future applications.

7. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Teachers that I know who became redundant on 31 August 2011 could not get another teaching job until 1st October.
    So there was a month's hiatus.
    This is almost impossible to manage (what school will take on a supply teacher for 1 month to wait for you?) so mostly they had to wait until January.
    Best wishes