1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Redundancy

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by drochester, Feb 23, 2012.

1. drochester

drochester New commenter

Hi......can anyone advise me? On Monday after the last lesson I was asked to see our new head; he's been in post since January 2012. In a five minute 'chat' I was told there was now no position for a head of ICT & that I am now redundant & would be paid up to the summer. He is restructuring.

He had arranged an observation for today (Thursday 23rd February); I assumed he would cancel or not bother turning up considering I am still reeling from Monday. I was very blunt (not angry, very calm) & said I felt he was being crass & how was I supposed to benefit from any feedback post observation. He left quite early & was uncomfortable. My question is, obviously the school needs to know if the quality of teaching is good but can he dismiss me early? I have had nothing in writing nor have I had anyone provide any advice, is this normal?

Thank you....

2. madcat

madcat Occasional commenter

If you are a union member, talk to your rep as soon as possible tomorrow at the latest (tonight if possible)
    If you are not, then either
    a) join a union as soon as you can
    or
    b) go to see you local Citizens' Advice Bureau ASAP
    If you are on a permanent contract (or even a temporary one) then you have set employment rights (paricularly with regards to redundancy) and you need to have professional advice

3. He sounds like a very stupid Head who could end up costing the school a lot of money. He should know better than trying to make people redundant like this. There is a process that needs to be gone through - employees have rights. Contact your Union immediately.

4. Are your classes still going to be taught next year? If the job still exists then you annot be made redundant - even if there's a restructuring, I'm guessing your basic duties will still exist.
    Call your union now!

5. Sorry Madcat but all the unions have a 90-day rule which means you need to be a member for 90 days before they will assist. This is to stop people only joining a union to get help when they are in trouble

6. Redundancy is strictly governed by agreed procedures, and also by employment law. Was there a published redundancy consultation, in which volunteers were invited? Contact your union!

7. madcat

madcat Occasional commenter

@e-Luddite - thanks for that info.
    I thought there probably was a rule like that but wasn't sure enough.
    I do think that the message for all, in these precarious and uncertain times, should be to think long and hard about being in a union (or at least a professional association with legal cover)
    The OP is not the first to be in this sort of position and as we head to major curriculum reform in 2014 may well not be the last