1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Redundancy

Discussion in 'Primary' started by itcouldbeme, Feb 19, 2012.

1. What is the normal procedure for making a teacher or class room assistant redundant ?
    How is the person seleted and how much notice would they be given ?
    Is the redundancy payment based on number of years employed at the school or the LEA and are just permanent years counted for ?
    Is based on current weekly salary or the maximum allowence of about £400 per week ?
    Regular poster with a new username not be be identified but a bit worried about failing numbers and the threat of it in the future.

2. cariad2

cariad2 New commenter

We were faced with possible redundances last year (thank goodness, the school's financial situation improved and they never materialised). The County personnel department was involved to ensure that correct procedures were followed. All relevant unions were also involved - they met the Head (union reps altogether with Head and County people). They also met staff (each union rep with own union members).
    We were told that criteria would be drawn up for redundancy and staff would have interviews. It never got that far, so I don't know what the criteria would have been. I do know that it wasn't to do with length of service - as an expensive member of staff (top of main pay scale, but no TLR/SMT responsibilities - too expensive for another school to employ) that really worried me, so I asked the Head if it would be taken into account.

3. We've been told that it is not down to how long people have been at the school and those with 20 years service are equally at risk as those with 2 years, so it isn't last in first out. I am not sure whether we are all permanent either, although I think we are so that doesn't help.
    Hopefully all LEA's operate the same policy because to date that hasn't happened and we've been told we could be facing redundancies as early as the Summer.

4. The procedure for deciding who goes is actually very strict and should be open and transparent in that every member of staff has to provide exactly the same information. Then each bit of information is given x number of points, which is specified, and then they add the points to decide who goes.
    I have been redundant 3 times. The first time I was simply redeployed to another school voluntarily so this process wasn't needed. in the second case the procedure was gone through precisely as it should but I found another job anyway. In the third case the procedure was gone through but then manipulated by the head so that she got rid of those she wanted out.
    in none of these situations was I given even one penny of redundancy money.

5. lardylegs

lardylegs Occasional commenter

The HT and the Chair of Govs will always collude to get rid of the teacher they like the least. This will usually be the person who most parents have complained about. They do this because they are terrified of parents moving kids to another school and therefore losing finance. It all boils down to money.

6. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Star commenter

Yeah, right.