1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Redundancy

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by alfredrussell, Jan 24, 2012.

1. alfredrussell

alfredrussell New commenter

If you take voluntary redundancy can you claim benefits like Job seekers allowance?

2. alfredrussell

alfredrussell New commenter

If you take voluntary redundancy can you claim benefits like Job seekers allowance?

3. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

It depends on the amount you are paid in redundancy in the first instance..... and thereafter I believe 3-6 months have to pass before you can claim anything.

4. modgepodge

modgepodge Occasional commenter

Are you sure? My father received close to £40k in a redundency payment and was surprised to discover he was able to claim JSA (I'm fairly sure his redundency was voluntary....he certainly wasn't bothered by it). This was in 2000 so perhaps regulations have changed since then. But when I claimed JSA recently I don't recall any questions about redundancy pay either...having not received any though perhaps I wouldn't have noticed!

5. I have been made redundant three times in my teaching career and never once have I received a penny so I wouldn't worry about the size of any redundancy payment.

6. If yo have done more than two years on a permant contract you are entitled to get paid redundancy pay (generally 1 weeks pay for every year you have worked. 40k and then JSA? Not possible legally- you are not entitled to JSA with more than 10k in savings.

7. That's not true.
    You can claim contributionary-based JSA which is based on National Insurance paid, and is not means-tested. The £6000 savings figure is also not strictly correct. That is the point at which you will start to lose some of your means tested benefits, but you can usually claim something, on a sliding scale, up to £16000 in savings.
    My own father has just been made redundant (£50k pay out) and is claiming Contrib. JSA.

8. Just to add that NI based JSA can be claimed immediately that you stop work (and should be as it will only be paid from the date you first claim) and only lasts 6 months. After this, you will only qualify for means tested JSA, which you won't get with that size of redundancy payment.