1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Redundancy

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by anon127, Mar 24, 2011.

1. I am about to be made redundant from a teaching post. Is this happening a lot at the moment? Is anyone else experiencing this? I am confused, as I have not heard much about this in education

2. tafkam

tafkam Occasional commenter

3. Number one of which should be the fact that it is presented as a fait accompli. You can't do this ; you have to discuss the various parts of the redundancy with either the employee's representatives or the employees themselves.

4. Although in Adult Education myself and nearing the end of my career, I am more concerned about my daughter who has been told she is going to be made redundant from a school in the West Mids.
    She has been told that she will be going on the "last in - first out" basis; is this legal - usual - worth challenging ?
    Advice gratefully received.

5. Last in last out is not a legally acceptable basis on which to select staff for redundancy.
    Your daughter should be in touch with her union at regional level at least.

6. Yep, that was what I thought. She has been in touch with Union but only at branch level so far (not meant to sound condescending), they have made no mention of LIFO not being acceptable. Thanks for advice, we will look into the matter further.