1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

redundancy?

Discussion in 'Scotland - education news' started by stusmi, Mar 4, 2011.

1. Hi all
    Looks like I may be made surplus (3 years permanent service-least in dept.) and the way things are I am wondering if redundancy is a real possibility next session. I think that there is the potential for maybe 30 teachers in the authority being made surplus in my subject.
    If a teacher is made redundant by an authority can they then advertise posts? accept supply registrations? accept probationers (are they supernumery?) And for how long after being made redundant could a teacher challenge the authority on these points?
    Also wondering if anyone has ever experienced a colleague/friend etc. being made redundant...for how long were they kept as perm. supply etc?
    Sorry if this is a bit of a ramble just a bit shocked and *** off about today's news!

2. Hi all
    Looks like I may be made surplus (3 years permanent service-least in dept.) and the way things are I am wondering if redundancy is a real possibility next session. I think that there is the potential for maybe 30 teachers in the authority being made surplus in my subject.
    If a teacher is made redundant by an authority can they then advertise posts? accept supply registrations? accept probationers (are they supernumery?) And for how long after being made redundant could a teacher challenge the authority on these points?
    Also wondering if anyone has ever experienced a colleague/friend etc. being made redundant...for how long were they kept as perm. supply etc?
    Sorry if this is a bit of a ramble just a bit shocked and *** off about today's news!

3. Dominie

Dominie New commenter

Ask your union. That's why you pay your subs.

4. I don't think they can use last in, first out as a criteria for redundancy, can they?

5. GuessWho

GuessWho New commenter

I mentioned this a while ago re contracts.

According to my contract I am employed by the LA as a teacher who they have placed in a particular school. I can be moved to another school within in the authority.
    My point is that in the case of redundancies it could be that all staff are in the frame rather than those in a school that is shedding posts.

6. ScotSEN

ScotSEN Senior commenter

Good point guesswho. Check with your union what the policy for your authority is. I've seen the one for my authority and it isn't automatically last in first out. Staff qualifications, sickness records are also taken into consideration.