1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Redundancy. What to do next?

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by purplerprincess, Jul 11, 2019.

1. purplerprincess

purplerprincess New commenter

Hi all,

I have been lurking here for a few months now, following threads and looking through old ones for advice. I am a teacher being made redundant from a small primary school where I have been working for three years due to low numbers. As I have been on various part time to full time hours over those years my redundancy pay is not very much.

I have looked at other teaching jobs. Applied for two, invited for two interviews but only attended one. Didn't get the job although they were very positive.

However, I have increasingly been feeling (over the past 6 months or so) that I am not enjoying teaching. I find the extra admin etc so frustrating and the tasks we are expected to do are endless. I have felt pressured by current head to apply for teaching jobs as they always go on about my career and the fact I studied for four years plus working there and saying what they would do in my situation.

I have been looking for other education type jobs that might pay something similar but not been very lucky. I have applied for an admin type council job so that I can earn whilst looking for something I could feel excited about and have been invited for interview but feel anxious about the way forward. I have so much going on in my head about my situation, going into the world of work beyond the classroom and what others will say if I don't carry on teaching. I have thought about going on supply for a while to clear my head and take the pressure off but I know there is not much money in this anymore. I have already had a recurring stress related illness develop because of everything going on.

I don't really know what I am asking of you all but has anyone got any advice? I would love a job where I only work during the working set hours and then get to go home and relax/ have a hobby but feel worried about my next step.

2. diddydave

diddydave Established commenter

Teaching is not the only career and if you don't find it satisfying it'll only grind you down. However, at this time of year, we are at our most worn out and if you add to that the horrible feeling that being singled out for redundancy it's not going to encourage you to feel positive about the profession. I'd say taking a job with the council, even if you don't see it as being a full career path, is a positive one and you'll be working in a, hopefully, more adult environment with new challenges. Being *new* can be positive so it'll give you time to explore more of what you are capable of and to reflect on what you want to take and what you can offer. I know of one colleague who having been worn out in teaching took on a role at the council and at the end of the first week, when she went to her boss and said "I've finished my inbox what's next?" was shocked to be told that he'd expected that workload would take her a month! You have a degree, you have experience of working in a pressured environment - you can. So you just need to find what you want.

3. purplerprincess

purplerprincess New commenter

Thank you for taking the time to reply. I feel worn down and need something different so I think I will attend the admin interview.

4. BTBAM85

BTBAM85 New commenter

There is money in supply - it's just that it's long term supply and it's only during term time.

I was pretty close to leaving teaching too - went on supply to get my foot out of the door. Did long term at one school, it was nice but the drive was long and I didn't fancy it. Got a contract for another school until the end of the school year and got a good feeling and now I'm at the school full-time and yeah, teaching is still not exactly my dream but it's good enough as the school is very good, unlike anywhere else I've been. Marking load is low, yes there's meetings and learning walks and book looks but it really doesn't feel punitive here. It makes such a huge difference. Plus, once you've done supply and been employed from being on supply, you and everyone else knows you have the personality to walk off and do that.

Changing schools can be it but do it from supply so you can pick and choose. They will beg, and I mean beg you to stay at each place you're at. You will be excused whatever you want, at the first school the head was so pathetically grateful for me doing parents evening as a supply I actually felt sorry for them.

Don't give up yet. Unless you really really want to!

5. mothorchid

mothorchid Star commenter

"I would love a job where I only work during the working set hours and then get to go home and relax/ have a hobby"
    This just isn't compatible with teaching, sadly.
    without asking you to post the information on here, what is your financial situation? Can you consider office work within a school setting? Could you manage on the low wages a TA gets? The admin job sounds hopeful.
    Is your subject one which allows you to think outside teaching? IT - yes, easily, English - less directly.
    What about tutoring? If you have up to date experience with yrs 5 and 6, this might work.
    It sort of depends on your personal situation, too. Family commitments, money, geographical position etc.
    Good luck!