1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Redundancy pay with early retirement

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by mo2_sande, Jul 13, 2020.

1. mo2_sande

mo2_sande New commenter

I decided to take early retirement at the end of this financial year, due to family circumstances. I just found out that if I have waited I would have been able to apply for voluntary redundancy as well as early retirement. I feel that I was not given the same opportunities as my colleagues, as we were told the news was supposed to be shared with staff before May.

Can you advise me on this matter
    Sande

2. Cantwaittogo

Cantwaittogo New commenter

If you've already applied for retirement then I dont think there's anything you can do.

sooooexcited likes this.
  3. shevington2

shevington2 New commenter

What type of School ? Were the Unions involved in this staff reduction? Did the HT communicate with all staff that they wanted volunteers for early retirement.

If you in a Union, suggest you contact them( not the school rep) and explain your concerns.

4. mothorchid

mothorchid Star commenter

Sadly, I think @Cantwaittogo is correct.
    However, I wondered a couple of things:
    "we were told the news was supposed to be shared with staff before May"- Who told you? Why were you told? What is the basis of "supposed to be"? Law on redundancy is pretty precise and even under covid, I would assume it had to be applied correctly, so I can't quite understand this bit.
    Also:
    Have you actually retired already? Or did you mean the current financial year 2020 - 2021? So you would be going next Easter? If that is the case, you could try discussing things with your Head, as it might allow him/her to avoid the redundancy of a member of staff who would otherwise be keen to stay. You might get a slightly better deal that way.
    On the other hand, if you have already left, then let it go. Life is too short to fret over things like this. You did the maths and decided you could go, in response to the particular family circumstances you are in. So that still applies, surely?

5. mo2_sande

mo2_sande New commenter

The information was supposed to be shared before May, it was mentioned twice.

6. mo2_sande

mo2_sande New commenter

Thank you for your advice

7. diddydave

diddydave Established commenter

I was in a similar position when it came time to go, we knew the school was shrinking and we'd had a tip that redundancies were being discussed. My role in particular was under scrutiny as I'd been TUPE'd into it and there was a clear opportunity to combine mine and another department with either mine or the other HOD's role being made redundant.

We had already made the decision to go.
    We could have held on to the last minute to see if we could get more money but we had done our sums and were ready to go - and confident that we could live on the pension.
    Any redundancy 'extra' comes out of the school budget so if we'd held on for the extra knowing we'd have gone anyway felt dishonest.
    By resigning early (October to leave in August the next year) meant that those painful discussions and plans along with anxiety for those in the firing line were removed.
    Also if we'd gone for the voluntary redundancy then there was no guarantee we would get it. So someone would who wanted it would have been given it and then, when we resigned anyway, lost it because such redundancies can be retracted right up to the last minute.
    Similarly if we'd got the voluntary redundancy if someone else went (another job, retired or died) we could have been in a position in September where we would be obligated to go back to work.

By making your decision early you have earned the right to enjoy this last year - don't let a few £ irritate you.

8. thejudgesscoresarein

thejudgesscoresarein Occasional commenter

I don’t think there’s much you can do unfortunately as you’ve already resigned.