1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Redundancy package, would you take?

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by Simonmil, Mar 14, 2017.

1. Simonmil

Simonmil New commenter

Hi all,

Just posted a thread a few days ago but wanted some advice on a recent development today.
    I've been suffering from depression and anxiety for a few years now, and have been sounded out about my role and work ethic/professionalism over the past few months. capability has been mentioned but not followed through (as of yet). After a very difficult meeting with my Deputy Head last week, he has come to me today and offered me the proposal of 3 months pay for redundancy. No start date, but I'm thinking they will want after Easter.

In my head, ask for May half term instead, 3 months salary will see us as a family over 6 weeks hols and I sign up to an agency and do supply until something else comes along.

How would you approach this? Oh, I've got references as well.

2. GLsghost

GLsghost Star commenter

Hang on...is your ROLE redundant? Is this actually redundancy (n which case proper procedures have not been followed > potential unfair dismissal / disability discrimination claim...) or do you mean you have been offered a settlement agreemetn following a protected conversation?

wanet likes this.
  3. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

4. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

Contact your union ASAP. It sounds as if they want to pay you off to get rid of you. You need to know the terms under which this money is being offered. If it is a pay off I would hold out for a higher sum say 6 or 9 months salary. You don't know how easy it will be to find alternative work.

5. Simonmil

Simonmil New commenter

Sound advice, thank you.

It does sound, now that you mention it, like a settlement figure. It was through an informal discussion today. Something for me to think about... I was told.
    As it stands everything is all very civil as I have a decent relationship with SLT but I admit I'm struggling to cope in the environment of pedantic QA I'm going through on my support plan. I'm UPS 2, in an arts subject and starting to worry about finding another post for September. If I was to negotiate May half term, that would last until September and a view of me starting supply work. That's the plan.

Regardless, union, stuff in writing and more than 3 months even if I've been only at the school for 2 years?

6. Simonmil

Simonmil New commenter

Edit. Just read the point of figures being defined by the end date. April 30th in this case. Probably means a no go unless I can get until September.

7. grumpydogwoman

May half-term doesn't look that great though. It's a dead give-away that it's a Settlement Agreement.

8. grumpydogwoman

You're too late anyway for April 30th. Unless the HT and the governors waived the usual notice (should have been given at the end of February).

I think you're stuck until the end of July. Remember that sick-leave could be your friend here BUT ensure that the ink has dried on the agreement about the reference!

If you're very canny you COULD wangle it so you get paid until the end of August but are put on gardening leave in June and July. Depends how much they want a parting of the ways.

9. GLsghost

GLsghost Star commenter

It's hardly a 'settlement figure'. All that is being offered is 3 months' contractual notice pay with nothing on top. You are entitled to that anyway. They are asking you to leave, with notice - that's all.

wanet likes this.
  10. grumpydogwoman

I think the reference is key here. Remember that a school is not obliged to give you a reference at all. If all you get out of it is the reference? That may constitute a good result. Up to you to decide.

You could say you'll leave at the end of July (effectively August 31st) with an agreed reference and that you won't be required to turn up in June or July. Or try asking to be paid until Christmas. It's horse-trading. How badly do they want to ease you out? How much trouble could you potentially cause? How obdurate are you?