1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

redundancy notice and new job offer.

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by elisa1, Apr 8, 2019.

1. elisa1

elisa1 New commenter

If I receive my redundancy notice informing me that I am to be made redundant and then receive a job offer outside of teaching which starts after I am made redundant will I lose my redundancy pay?

2. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Star commenter

I believe not, it is employment within the school, MAT or LA which causes loss of redundancy payout. So in Jan 2017 I managed to work in a different school doing Maths supply where I was an employee of the agency/UC. However if i'd taken a 'proper' job as a TA in the same school? I dunno the answer to that one but that is why you pay your union fees to get a decent answer.

If it can be shown that you deliberately turned down an acceptable, similar job to get the payout then you can be denied it. Again it's union advice as to what acceptable and/or similar means.

3. Sundaytrekker

Sundaytrekker Star commenter

It depends on any conditions given. When I was involved in a restructure it was only jobs within the local authority within a certain time frame that lost redundancy pay. A teacher getting a job in the independent sector kept their redundancy.

lardylegs likes this.
  4. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

I think it would be illegal to make this a condition of redundancy, at least as far as the minimum payment is concerned. Here is a useful link. https://www.gov.uk/redundant-your-rights/redundancy-pay I believe that taking work within the same MAT or LA counts as working for the same employer. I was once made redundant, along with everybody else in my office which was closing, and started my new job the next day with a greatly enhanced bank balance. It was probably a mistake not to leave it a day - I was rather hungover from our last day celebrations.

lardylegs and JohnJCazorla like this.
  5. thejudgesscoresarein

thejudgesscoresarein Occasional commenter

No, you won’t loose any redundancy pay unless you leave before the date you are made redundant.

lardylegs likes this.