1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Redundancy - not got a leg to stand on?

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by minxyfish, Mar 16, 2012.

1. Hello,
    I'm in need of some quick advice please. My department were told of impending redundancies just before half term...4.8 in dept and got to lose 1.6.
    HoS has managed to get this dropped to 1.4, as we feel SLT are being too pessimistic. One member of staff has decided on a career change, so will be leaving at the end of summer, leaving the need for us to lose 0.8 still.
    We have come up with umpteen proposals for SLT, all of which have been rejected. They seem to be very much against part-timers and I suspect they are making it awkward enough that one of us will just leave (though I'm so stressed and worried I may well just be paranoid).
    If we cannot come up with a solution in the department in the next couple of days, it will be decided by the scores that we've all been given.
    I'm just wondering on what grounds they can keep refusing all our proposals? If they would agree for us all to drop a day (including the HoS and deputy HoS), then we could manage the loss between us without the lowest scorer being kicked out. They've said no to this as they don't want both department heads to be part-time...
    Can they do this?
    Thanks

2. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

A school can restructure to reduce staffing any way in which they chose. As long as the redundancy process is transparent and fair then there is not a lot you can do I'm afraid. I assume unions have been involved - what do they advise?

3. Heck, I was afraid I'd be told that.
    Well, it appears to be transparent, but there are also lots of discrepancies, that we're starting to wonder what's going on.
    Unions have been a bit rubbish, to be honest. We contacted them at the start and have asked many questions, but the college rep is never in a rush to answer and has never attended any of our meetings.
    I was under the impression that the unions would be all hands on deck trying to fight our corner in whatever way possible, but it's not been like that.
    Thanks for your reply.

4. Morninglover

Morninglover Lead commenter

I would be speaking to the Union at a much higher level than the college rep, tbh - and ASAP

5. Thanks Folkfan. I never got a response from the regional rep about a different matter a few months ago, so I've not much faith there either tbh! It's worth a go though, so I'll contact them on Monday.
    Do you know if it is 'allowed/legal' for them to not consider the deputy HoS to reduce hours? He's only been with us since September, whereas the rest of us have been there between and 15 years...yet all the proposals are based around just the teachers reducing days.
    There was a proposal that the HoS go to 0.8 and deputy go to 0.9, but these were flatly refused. So basically, we have to all take a huge cut (which some of us can't afford to do, so it's a no-go anyway), while the heads are pretty much safe.
    I know it's not 'fair', but do you know if it is allowed? I'm guessing it is, but we're so desperate we're questionning anything at the moment.

6. Minxyfish - the odds are always going to be stacked against you. The standard procedure is - generally - for a consultation window, a call for volunteers from those targeted for redundancy, and if that doesn't deliver the reductions proposed the employer can proceed with compulsory redundancies. The principle of "last in- first out" only applies if all other things are equal. Unfortunately the employer can usually prioritise a skills audit - which invariably (but not always) protects more senior and more experienced employees. It seems as though your local union reps are totally inept - I suggest you call your national HQ and ask to speak to a full-time official able to advise on redundancy matters.