1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

redundancy mess

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by langteacher, Jun 12, 2011.

1. langteacher

langteacher Occasional commenter

you have my every sympathy but it is my understanding that due to the length of your service there may be no grounds for appeal.
    talk to your union about it

2. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

You have grounds for appeal in the sense you are on a one year contract and so have a fixed leaving date. The school are not obliged to give you notice, nor you them.

I do feel for you are it must be frustrating in the extreme, but there is nothing you can do.

3. I'm afraid there is nothing you can do. The school needs to lose a teacher - they have made a mess of their redundancy process so can no longer make any of their permanent staff redundant. therefore the only option they have is letting you go because you are on a fixed term contract.
    You have been shafted but within the rules. On the plus side you'll get a fantastic reference and should be well placed to get a post in another school. I do feel for you - I work on temporary contracts now and the uncertainty makes life tough. I've also been pushed out of a permanent post. To be honest if your head is incapable of going through the redundancy process correctly you would be better off not working for them.
    Good luck with job hunting.

4. langteacher

langteacher Occasional commenter

i wonder if the head is being disciplined for making a *** up

5. Not to my knowledge and so the job hunt begins but there's not much out there really. I just wish I had known a little bit sooner than June. It was a big **** up though.....

6. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

DUH! Idiot me! There should of course be a NO in that sentence!

7. lauren664

lauren664 New commenter

That is a bit of a **** situation to be in, I really feel for you! Unfortunately you are in one of many schools in a similar situation. I would agree you are definately best off out of a school where they have screwed up the redundancy process as the cuts will need to be made somwhere so they are likely to have to go through it all again!
    Good luck with the job hunt!
    From a personal point of view, I am in a school where they too certainly haven't followed the correct procedures! The forced reduncies are now appealing and I was just wondering how long did the process take in your school? They are stalling as long as possible and I almost feel like they are hoping that the stress gets to us and we give up :(

8. Well from my understanding when push came to shove they had to drop them because people were appealing and they hadn't followed procedures properly so didnt have a leg to stand on. The process from announcing specific redunancies to appeals and then no redundancies was about 2 months.
    Don't give up! until it was announced that there were to be no redundancies everyone thought the appeals had no chance. Hope it works out for you :)

9. I'm living this too! How long does it take to shuffle you out? I'm not finding the union very helpful, or available even. I've been told there are no 'packages' even though I'm over 55, and I won't be able to take an actuarially reduced pension because there is no money at the moment. Surely this last can't be right ... anyone out there better informed?

10. I think it might be - I might be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that the employer has to pay something towards an acturially reduced pension to make up for the loss of income to the scheme. I know this is the case for Local Gov pensions, because a member of our support staff has taken early retirement due to possible redundancy, and the LA have had to pay a strain on the fund cost. Would imagine it is the same for the teachers' scheme.

11. Thanks pattertwig ... what a state the country is in!

12. I'm not so sure this is right. I am taking an ARP in August. I am currently on supply so don't have an employeer. There wasn't any problem for me. I would ring the TPS, they are very helpful. It is your right to go on an ARP any time after 55. Perhaps they just mean it can't be enhanced in any way as once happened. That wouldn't surprise me but I don't think anyone can stop you taking an ARP as long as you meet the age criterion which is age 55. There is nothing in the notes on the TPS website about it being refused by any authority. I don't think they can stop you taking it.

13. Thanks roseangel, a little more hopeful. The long drawn out 'let's investigate making you redundant' puts everything on hold until a decision is finally made. Redundancy pay is pitiful even for an old duck like me. I don't actually feel ready to give up yet either.