1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Redundancy? merger and unfair actions! Helpful advice needed

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by Gardening Leaves, Dec 29, 2010.

1. Gardening Leaves

Gardening Leaves New commenter

Hopefully you are a member of a union and should consult them immediately. If not, check the details of your home insurance policy as many offer legal cover for precisely this kind of scenario.

2. I think it's good advice to check and ask for help from a legal add on policy-if you have one.
    However, I would say my own experience is that unless you have actually received a notice of redundancy or have actually been made redundant, any repsonse may be disappointingly limited compared with what can be obtained from a union.

3. Hi Karen. Given the above I would be a bit cautious before claiming unfair dismissal. For one thing, I presume that even if you are the only PE teacher at your school, the other school must have a PE teacher, too, so there must be at least one person who is qualified (unless yours is a girls' school merging with a boys' school). Also, unless the other school is very small and you know everything/everyone about them, there may be someone coming back from maternity leave, or long-term sick, or there may be someone who is currently not teaching PE but is qualified. In addition, if the independent school organisation these two schools belong to has other schools, there may be someone relocating from a completely different school from a different part of the country (or even abroad). Then another issue is that in the independent sector you don't have to have QTS to teach, so "being qualified" may mean other things than having a degree+PGCE in PE.
    My advice would be to try and look for another job while contacting your union, too, to ee if they can help. Good luck and keep us posted.