1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Redundancy - early termination date.

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by musikate1053, Feb 6, 2018.

1. musikate1053

musikate1053 New commenter

Hello,
    Has anyone gone through redundancy and negotiated an early termination date in order to keep their rights to a redundancy payment? How would you go about doing this?
    Thank you
    musikate

2. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

The obvious answer is 'ask your school', but they may not play ball. It might depend on whether one is surplus to requirements now or not until the redundancy date offered, as could be the case if it is down to a change in teacher requirements for the next school year. I think you need to be careful - this is one case where it is advisable to get your union involved. For example, if the school knew you has accepted a new job and had not yet formalised the redundancy, perhpas they could decide not to go through with it. Or there might be something nasty in the redundancy terms about getting a new job within some period after leaving.

3. frustum

frustum Star commenter

I presume this is along the lines of their being a clause in the redundancy terms saying you don't get anything if you start a new job within 4 weeks, and so wanting to finish in time that you could get a new post in September without losing the redundancy pay? You'd want to be very careful about reading the small print, as Piranha says.

For anyone thinking of having a child, it's worth bearing in mind that you would lose continuous service, which could affect entitlement to maternity pay. I'm not sure if any other benefits are affected - sick pay is based on "accrued service" rather than continuous service, so the gap doesn't make a difference there. There would also be an effect on pension - not a huge amount, but if you're weighing up August pay versus the redundancy payout, don't forget that.