1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Redundancy. Any advice, expertise, experiences etc greatly appreciated.

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by Rousset, Nov 25, 2010.

1. Due to budget, or should I say NO budget, my school is going to have to cut 3 teachers. We are all worried, some of us are more worried than others. Me obviously! I am the only earner in my household, I teach a class which could be very easily amalgamated to another (or two), due to my teaching times, I cannot conduct before or after 'school' clubs, as other teachers do (therefore I will not and can not 'tick' that 'added value' box). I have 'only been employed in my current school since 2008, whereas everyone else (bar one) has been there for decades (literally!). I have been told that the 'last in first out' system SHOULDN 'T apply, but everything does seem to point to me, as one teacher has a temporary contract and another is retiring in the Spring term...(2+ me=......3)
    I have had a couple of breaks in employment due
    to relocating, and have now been continuously employed in a permanent
    position with my current LEA since sept 2008. Prior to relocating 2
    years beforehand, I had 7 years continuous service with
    another LEA. I have read (with complete cynicism) that in SOME cases,
    the total years of continuous employment across LEAs are used to
    calculate redundancy. Does this differ in different LEAs? Do LEAs have
    their own redundancy policies/procedures etc? If so, how can I find out about my LEAs redundancy
    policies/procedure?
    A friend of mine is
    also being made redundant (not a teacher, and whom doesn't earn as much
    as me,) after having been in their position for a few less months than
    me and they have been offered £15 000 redundancy. Whereas, I'll will be given 'a thanks, but good-bye' worth £760, after 11 years of putting
    work first! I cannot possibly survive financially 'unemployed' with
    this pittance redundancy payment, especially with the current employment
    and economic climate. ARGH!!!
    I'd greatly appreciate any advice.
    Thank you.
    A very worried person.

2. Due to budget, or should I say NO budget, my school is going to have to cut 3 teachers. We are all worried, some of us are more worried than others. Me obviously! I am the only earner in my household, I teach a class which could be very easily amalgamated to another (or two), due to my teaching times, I cannot conduct before or after 'school' clubs, as other teachers do (therefore I will not and can not 'tick' that 'added value' box). I have 'only been employed in my current school since 2008, whereas everyone else (bar one) has been there for decades (literally!). I have been told that the 'last in first out' system SHOULDN 'T apply, but everything does seem to point to me, as one teacher has a temporary contract and another is retiring in the Spring term...(2+ me=......3)
    I have had a couple of breaks in employment due
    to relocating, and have now been continuously employed in a permanent
    position with my current LEA since sept 2008. Prior to relocating 2
    years beforehand, I had 7 years continuous service with
    another LEA. I have read (with complete cynicism) that in SOME cases,
    the total years of continuous employment across LEAs are used to
    calculate redundancy. Does this differ in different LEAs? Do LEAs have
    their own redundancy policies/procedures etc? If so, how can I find out about my LEAs redundancy
    policies/procedure?
    A friend of mine is
    also being made redundant (not a teacher, and whom doesn't earn as much
    as me,) after having been in their position for a few less months than
    me and they have been offered £15 000 redundancy. Whereas, I'll will be given 'a thanks, but good-bye' worth £760, after 11 years of putting
    work first! I cannot possibly survive financially 'unemployed' with
    this pittance redundancy payment, especially with the current employment
    and economic climate. ARGH!!!
    I'd greatly appreciate any advice.
    Thank you.
    A very worried person.

3. tafkam

tafkam Occasional commenter

My advice?
    Ring your union first thing tomorrow morning!

4. Morninglover

Morninglover Lead commenter

I can only echo Tafkam's advice. And your call should be to the regional/area office (not the school rep, if you have one).
    I can - with certainty - say that there are occasions when service across more than one LEA is counted towards the 'years of continuous service'; whether this is always the case I do not know, but I'd make sure that your Union has all the facts. And remember only a post can be made redundant, not a person.

What a horrible thing to happen at any time of year, but esp. so at Christmas - you have my sympathies...

5. BillyBobJoe

BillyBobJoe Occasional commenter

Get the union involved ASAP, at my school we were faced with a redundancy procedure, the NUT took industrial action which delayed the process substantially, meaning that natural wastage and concessions from the LEA dropped redundancies from 10+ down to 1. It's worth noting that the one person was not a union member so we couldn't do anything for them. In the end the process extended for the whole academic year, giving people time to find other jobs. We did and do have a very strong union presence. If your school lacks that, you may have a more difficult time.

6. Hello. My school has since announced a large buget deficit and also sent letters home to staff today who are in the "at risk of redundency" group. I'm unfortunately in that group. I can sympathise with you totally. I've been at the school 2 and a bit yearsm have given up lunch times running extra curricular, given up copious after school hours training students for Duke of Edinburgh Award expeditions and also whole weekends spent with them on expedition. It's nice to know that when the chips are down all this counts for nothing. At the end of the day it's all politics and money regardless how the managment dresses it up. I will echo the thoughts of others on this thread though regarding getting your union involved. I'd had a feeling for months I might be for the chop so talked to my school rep who went through what would happen. I have to say that when the dreaded day came I felt far calmer facing the Head when he was telling me and the head of department one of us would need to go. As soon as I was out the meeting I went straight to the rep who got me to write down everything I could remember and it got sent straight to the Union person for the legal stuff. I equally will not get much for redundency but atleast if the unfortunate does happen the union are there to make sure you get the best deal available and also that you don't get screwed over which considering the current economic climate is a possibility.

7. rc07

rc07 New commenter

Hi,
    I don't have much to add, but I was also made redundant 3 years ago so can sympathise with your position. Unfortunately I was an NQT and as such did not get any redundancy pay. I can only echo what others have said about getting union involved.
    Good luck!