1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Redundancy and school advertising teaching jobs.

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by siolae, Apr 28, 2012.

1. We are in a similar position in terms of redundancies and the reasons for it. At a meeting yesterday with human resources it was stated categorically that deleted posts cannot then be filled through recruitment. This was made clear to us in terms of who could actually apply for redundancy. Contact the unions.

2. I am in exactly the same situation - a teacher in my department resigned mid year, two weeks later redundancy notices (188 notice) were announced. I was told by the Head that legally we could not advertise the post until all redundancies were settled as the spare hours in my department could be taken up by someone threatened by redundancy. Definitely go to the union. It was clearly stated to me that this is a matter of law. To which I replied that even if it weren't, it was a question of morality: no way should people be made redundant whilst others get a new job.

3. Foxtail3 has it right, as that is what happened to me. AS and A2 level physics is now being taught by an NQT. The new Head at my old school amalgamated departments and rebranded them faculties, so nearly all jobs had different titles and specifications.