1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Redundancy and Maternity Pay

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by sakura_06, Mar 8, 2011.

1. I'm hoping someone can help me! There is a possibility that I might be made redundant (or that I might want to volunteer for redundancy as I need to re-locate to be closer to my partner's job).
    I am going on Maternity Leave in mid-May and was hoping I might still be entitled to the OMP element until the redundancy date of August 31st. However, I have been told by the payroll department that if I'm made redundant (from August 31st), I will not be entitled to the OMP (12 weeks at 50% pay) at all. Does anyone know if this is correct? My union rep didn't know much about this.
    The directgov website talks a lot about 'Notice Pay' and apparently this might be payable even to those on long-term sick or maternity leave. Does anyone know what Notice Pay is and whether I might be eligible?
    I am not in a very happy situation, as I would hate it if someone else in my very overstaffed departement were to be made redundant when I could possible leave. However, I want to be in possession of all the facts, as obviously it's a big step to take to willingly leave a job at a time when there may be no jobs to apply for once my Maternity period has ended.
    Any advice (or advice on where to get advice) very gratefully recieved!

2. I'm hoping someone can help me! There is a possibility that I might be made redundant (or that I might want to volunteer for redundancy as I need to re-locate to be closer to my partner's job).
    I am going on Maternity Leave in mid-May and was hoping I might still be entitled to the OMP element until the redundancy date of August 31st. However, I have been told by the payroll department that if I'm made redundant (from August 31st), I will not be entitled to the OMP (12 weeks at 50% pay) at all. Does anyone know if this is correct? My union rep didn't know much about this.
    The directgov website talks a lot about 'Notice Pay' and apparently this might be payable even to those on long-term sick or maternity leave. Does anyone know what Notice Pay is and whether I might be eligible?
    I am not in a very happy situation, as I would hate it if someone else in my very overstaffed departement were to be made redundant when I could possible leave. However, I want to be in possession of all the facts, as obviously it's a big step to take to willingly leave a job at a time when there may be no jobs to apply for once my Maternity period has ended.
    Any advice (or advice on where to get advice) very gratefully recieved!

3. tafkam

tafkam Occasional commenter

I'm afraid that is correct, because to be entitled to the 12 weeks at 50% you must return to your post for 13 weeks after the completion of your maternity leave. Your union might argue that this should be waived if you were compulsarily made redundant, but they're unlikely to be able to do so if you volunteer.

4. Thanks tafkam.
    Do you know what Notice Pay is by any chance?

5. tafkam

tafkam Occasional commenter

Notice pay is just the pay that you get if you are asked to leave on the day you are made redundant, that pays your normal salary up to the date that the redundancy would normally be allowed to take place.
    Normally it isn't an issue with teachers because redundancies are made at the end of a term or year, and the teacher works up until that date.

6. Thanks again tafkam. I finally feel fully informed!