1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Redundancies.

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by tamtams, Jan 14, 2018.

1. picsgirl

picsgirl New commenter

Thanks - had hoped to stay there til retirement (I'm 52), but obviously councils don't have the money to invest in our children's future. Shame

2. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Lead commenter

So sorry to hear the news, picsgirl. A very stressful and upsetting time for you. Will you look around for a new post for September? At least it's the right time to be looking, hopefully there will be ads out there now. Wish you the very best of luck x

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  3. picsgirl

picsgirl New commenter

I had my redeployment paperwork today - so perhaps the council can find me another school job before the end of August. If I take the redundancy payout I cant work for the council for a month + a day. A lot to think about as over the past 4 years my mobility has deteriorated - which left me unable to work in nursery/reception/Y1 and working parttime. This limits my school options as I haven't seen a vacancy in juniors for years - so I'd be very lucky if one arises before the end of term.

4. Mumofone1

Mumofone1 New commenter

I'm so sorry. Voluntary redundancy deadline is Tuesday at our school. Selective criteria begins the following week.
    picsgirl, do you know what you will do?

5. Mumofone1

Mumofone1 New commenter

Thankyou for the thoughts. I won't know for few weeks yet. Money is awful, but I cannot be out of work (only income coming in)

6. Mumofone1

Mumofone1 New commenter

Thankyou. Am Harrow area. How about you?

Deirds likes this.
  7. picsgirl

picsgirl New commenter

Sorry for your stress Mumofone - This is the third time in six years this has happened. The other two times I'd been saved by volunteers & people who joined the school after me - so cuts finally caught up with me. Still deciding what to do - wish I could just enjoy my weekend and not think about it.

8. picsgirl

picsgirl New commenter

I'm in an area of Cardiff that has become dominated by student accommodation.

9. Mumofone1

Mumofone1 New commenter

Hi all. Well, I'm out, and truely gutted about it. I have the right to appeal, but is it really worth it? Has anyone else appealed and won?
    Not slept properly for days, and anxiety levels are through the roof. Cannot face going in either!!

How are you doing picsgirl?

10. picsgirl

picsgirl New commenter

Sorry about your news Mumofone1 - I had been ok until this weekend - feeling very unmotivated. Despite joining the redeployment register, it seems increasingly unlikely that there will be a suitable school vacancy for me to apply for. At 52 & with deteriorating mobility the thought of having to retrain (again) is really playing on my mind.
    When did you find out? Have you been back?

Deirds likes this.
  11. pickles124

pickles124 Established commenter

12. tamtams

tamtams New commenter

So sorry Mumofone 1. It's a horrible time for all concerned. Our staff that are leaving July have known for the past six weeks. A lot have said that they would forfeit some of their redundancy money to be let go now, but due to red tape this is not possible. It's like they want to squeeze the last bit of energy from you and bleed you dry. What a sad world we live in.

13. picsgirl

picsgirl New commenter

To be eligible for redundancy payout we have to be available for work til 31st Aug, even though we don't get paid for the summer holidays - so I either have to get a job to start in September or forfeit all my redundancy (which I obviously would be if it was the perfect job) .

14. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Lead commenter

So sorry to hear your news, mumofone1. It's horrible for you and everyone else in the same position. I hope you get a decent redundancy and find another job quickly. Keep in touch.

15. cassienomore1

cassienomore1 New commenter

We've been through it as well, there was all the pretence of selection criteria and points but they seem to have decided who they wanted to leave - the two who had to go were better qualified than many of the others as they had degrees that they'd done whilst working but were told it didn't matter that they had a relevant degree. One is now working in a supermarket for more money and the other is going to be a teacher.