1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Redundancies - Section 188 letters

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by brush75, Feb 14, 2011.

1. Am I correct in thinking that S188 letters for staff at risk of redundancy with effect from 31 August have to be with those staff by the end of this month?

2. ... whoops, pressed enter too soon. The reason I ask is because I was under the impression it was 1 May (and when there were redundancies at our school last year the letters came out in April) but I have just read an email which appears to contradict this. Slightly confused now.

3. I think the law on this varies depending on the number of posts to be made redundant, but your Local Authority should have set procedures and timescales for the consultation process.
    IIRC the consultation period is 30 days before notice of termination for businesses losing between 20-99 posts, 90 days for 100+
    I don't think there is anything specific in law for cases of less than 20, other than for there to be reasonable consultation.
    Whether a school, or the LA is the employer is the question, which, I think, is why the full process is usually followed.
    HTH

4. Yes, it looks like the writer of the email I referred to above had confused the 90 days from notice of redundancy to actual termination date (ie 31 May-31 Aug), with the time from S188 to notice of redundancy!

5. Yes, it looks like the writer of the email I referred to above had confused the 90 days from notice of redundancy to actual termination date (ie 31 May-31 Aug), with the time from S188 to notice of redundancy!

6. Yes, it looks like the writer of the email I referred to above had confused the 90 days from notice of redundancy to actual termination date (ie 31 May-31 Aug), with the time from S188 to notice of redundancy! I'm guessing that in reality the S188s will go out either just before or just after the Easter break.