1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

redundancies risk when pregnant?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy' started by katejfranklin, Feb 3, 2011.

1. Hi all I'm after a bit of advice really, my baby is due on 21st July and we've just been told that we have to lose 2 x staff from our department by end of this academic year. Does anyone know where we stand when pregnant in terms of entitlements and any protection???

2. Hi all I'm after a bit of advice really, my baby is due on 21st July and we've just been told that we have to lose 2 x staff from our department by end of this academic year. Does anyone know where we stand when pregnant in terms of entitlements and any protection???

3. I am in Scotland and don't know how much t and c's differ but in my maternity booklet, that I got after I handed in mat b1 at 25 weeks, it states that I have to come back to a position equal to that which I left, or if something changes a position suitable has to be found for me-so I assume they wouldn't be able to make me redundant in that time.

4. You can be made redundant, but you are also afforded a certain amount of protection. I can dig out a post I wrote on another thread re: redunancy over the weekend but I would suggest discussing Regulation 10 of the Maternity and Parental Leave Regulations with your union and getting their advice in the first instance

5. You can be made redundant, maternity does not offer you protection from redundancy but neither should it make you more likely to be made redundant. You will be treat in exactly the same way as all the other members of staff in your dept and the criteria for redundancy will apply in exactly the same way. Your maternity does not impact on your absence. In our LA the ranking criteria are absence, disciplinary record, teaching profile (unsatisfactory --> outstanding) and skills set if that helps. Get a copy of your schools redundancy policy and speak to your union.

6. I used to work in Human Resources and although technically it does not 'protect' you from redundancy, there is a reluctance to make those who are pregnant or on maternity leave redundant in case it appears discriminatory in any way (i.e., that you have been selected based on being pregnant or on leave).
    So, yes you can be made redundant and you should definitely find out as much info as possible and contact your union etc but being pregnant *may* be a slight advantage.