1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

reduction in teaching hours for MFL A level

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by piconvinblanc, Feb 21, 2016.

1. piconvinblanc

piconvinblanc New commenter

My school is in financial trouble and , as one of the measures proposed to save money , SLT want to reduce our teaching hours for y12 and y13 and they also want us to teach some lessons with the 2 years in the same group.
    The new A level is going to be harder and I just don't know how we can be expected to deliver the full specification with a reduced amount of hours . T o me , it is obvious that it can't work .
    Has anybody out there got experience of this and can they share any tips or if you don't have experience of it , what do you think ? Would love to hear what colleagues have to say,

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Not my own experience, but colleagues faced with this looked at the specification and worked out what could be set for personal learning by the students. Self-study in other words.

And ensured that they set enough of this to take up at least the lost time.

It was more or less successful depending on the subject. Ancient Greek and Ancient Civilization coped well.

Best wishes

3. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

Daughter didn't enjoy mixed year A level NFL as a pupil.

4. IME

IME New commenter

We've also been put in the same position for A level MFL and I, like you, just can't see how it's going to work (I feel like we're being set up for failure). As far as I know for us, the sharing of lessons won't happen every period so there will be at least a couple of lessons a week where each year group will be on their own so one option for the shared lessons is to either rotate them (one week = one taught lesson for year 12 and one 'independent study lesson' for year 13 and then swap the following week) or divide the lesson in half and teach separately. As TheoGriff suggests above, we will also have to look at the SoW and see what can be done independently. I also can't see parents being happy with the arrangement but I guess we'll cross that bridge in September!

5. janemk

janemk New commenter

This was the system when I was a 6th form student and it worked pretty much as described above, with the 'joint' lessons being some whole class stuff (oral and literature where the texts overlapped) and the rest with the teacher working with one half while the other half worked by themselves. There were only 2 students in Yr 13 and 5 in Yr 12 so it was deemed necessary, but I know the teachers hated it and it was the nail in the coffin for one of them who left shortly after. It also happened in my Latin A-level (1 yr 13 and 2 yr 12s) in much the same way but seemed to work better than in MFL (I'm thinking now because there was a wider range of ability anyway in the MFL yr 12). It can work but it's hard and not ideal for students or teachers.

6. MrMedia

MrMedia Star commenter

I don't know. It presents opportunities for innovative teaching. Some research says produce a play, others look at running extended drama role plays - there are always opportunities in difficulties. You can do things under the guise of reduced hours and use more innovative techniques with less recrimination.