1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Reduction in contact time with KS3 - anyone else had this?

Discussion in 'Music' started by jacqui_f, Jun 21, 2011.

1. My school has decided it is a good idea to reduce the number of lessons for Music from 2 a fortnight (2 week timetable) to 1 a fortnight? This is marginally better than their orginal idea to put us on a carousel with Dance and Drama, so we would only see them a couple of lessons a fortnight for a term a year.

This means we are likely to see them (best case) about 18-20 times a year for an hour. Worst case I don't even want to think about (holidays, Bank Holidays, exams etc.).

We are still being expected to achieve the same End of KS Levels on half the teaching time and probably also to do grading points every half term (so every 3 lessons).

I am now having a nightmare trying to work out what to jettison from the SOW, and how the hell we are ever supposed to cover the NC in the time we now have. We also have to contend with the possibility that students may not have a lesson for a month if they miss one. What do we do?

2. My school has decided it is a good idea to reduce the number of lessons for Music from 2 a fortnight (2 week timetable) to 1 a fortnight? This is marginally better than their orginal idea to put us on a carousel with Dance and Drama, so we would only see them a couple of lessons a fortnight for a term a year.

This means we are likely to see them (best case) about 18-20 times a year for an hour. Worst case I don't even want to think about (holidays, Bank Holidays, exams etc.).

We are still being expected to achieve the same End of KS Levels on half the teaching time and probably also to do grading points every half term (so every 3 lessons).

I am now having a nightmare trying to work out what to jettison from the SOW, and how the hell we are ever supposed to cover the NC in the time we now have. We also have to contend with the possibility that students may not have a lesson for a month if they miss one. What do we do?

3. Welcome to my world. My year 7 will now have one hour a week for half of the weeks between September and June. It is currently one hour a week in year 8 (although this could be changed in 12 months time) and our pupils start their GCSE/BTEC courses in year 9. We start the new timetable in June and not September so year 8 is not a full year. I have spent hours trying to decide what to keep and what to remove - I have found the whole process somewhat demoralising. I have ended up removing a lot of stuff from my KS3 curriculum plan and I'm worried that the pupil's skills levels will suffer and that the variety of experiences is limited. I worry that they will then struggle with GCSE should they choose to do it.

4. Yup, no idea about year 7 currently, but year 8 and 9 will be on a carousel so will see them for a term. I bet my best group will be the one in the last term which is shorter and always gets disrupted.

5. We went to two year KS3 in Sept 2009. It lasted a year and they then reverted back to three year KS3 this academic year. So we will have totally changed the curriculum three years in a row by the time this is finished.

Any advice on what to leave out and what you think must be kept in?