1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Reducing workload

Discussion in 'Primary' started by behindprivateeyes, Jan 12, 2012.

1. I'm not sure if this is the best place to post as there are so many forums but ... can anyone suggest how to approach a headteacher to reduce workload or responsibilities? Has anyone done this successfully? I've got to the point where I'm being pulled in so many directions that it won't be long before all the walls come crashing down!

2. Just go to them and be honest. Explain that you feel you are doing none of your roles to the best of your ability because you don't have the energy or time to dedicate.

3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Your Head has something called a'duty of care' towards the wellbeing of his/her staff.
    They need to know how you feel and how will they know if you don't tell them? They are generally very experienced and once they know the problem may well then be able to point you in the right direction towards a resolution which suits you and the school. Heads don't want their staff to 'fall apart' any more than you do.

4. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Put a plan together of WHAT you would like to let go of and WHEN you would like to stop.

Don't just go in, sob your heart out and tell the HT you can't cope with the workload! They never listen properly in that situation!

Think it through and work out what will be manageable for you and what benefits the school will gain by the change. Maybe have some ideas of who could take on the things you want to stop doing. Write it down clearly. Approach your Ht and ask to speak to them at some point in the next few days and effectively make an appointment, maybe leave your written thoughts/plans as a 'please could we discuss this' note so they aren't taken by surprise.

5. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Brilliant advice from minnie there.