1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Reducing rates due to no student

Discussion in 'Private tutors' started by microbiology, Sep 9, 2019.

1. microbiology

microbiology New commenter

Hi

I'm not getting a lot of gcse students. I don't knoe what I'm dping wrong. My A level classes are full

I charge £25/hr for a group class.

Am I charging a lot? Has anyone tried to reduce their rate instead of increasing?

2. alsoamum

alsoamum Occasional commenter

What do you charge for 1:1? And how does your group rate compare?

I charge £34 ph 1:1, £22 paired and £17 group (min 3 max 5) flat rate for primary, ks3 and 11 plus.

I do know tutors who charge more for A Level than GCSE, so maybe it's worth charging less or giving a discount for the first couple of sessions. How long have you been running the groups, could it be a time of the year issue?

3. gainly

gainly Lead commenter

How big are the groups? It does seem fairly expensive for group tuition. They could probably get a 1:1 lesson for not much more, depending where you live.

I charge the same for A level and GCSE but some tutors do charge a higher rate for A level.

4. frustum

frustum Star commenter

Guessing that you are a biologist, are you advertising biology or science for GCSE? I would imagine that those doing separate sciences are not so likely to need tuition.

But I also agree about that being quite high for a group rate.

5. krakowiak6

krakowiak6 Occasional commenter

I can't understand why any parent would send a primary or Ks3 student to a private tutor. Any decent parent could teach their own primary aged children and Ks3. It isn't rocket science. All well and good if you can get the students but I am surprised tutors find so many of them to be honest. They must have more money than sense.

6. phatsals

phatsals Established commenter

Well that just shows your ignorance doesn't it.

7. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

Not all parents have the skills or time. Sometimes the kid needs someone different. We sent our daughter to a piano teacher even though Mrs P teaches it. Mrs P's experiences with her mother teaching her led her to subcontract.
    We get good business from an Asisn family. The patents have good business skills and use them (all hours). Their language skills and curriculum knowledge are a bit limited, so they use the experts.
    They also have a strong work ethic for their lovely children.

Kateray1 likes this.
  8. briancant

briancant Occasional commenter

In response to the original poster, If you are not getting enough GCSE students you are charging too much, but I think you know that. Pricing is the key to any business. Just charging more doesn't necessarily equate to greater income. Teachers struggle with this because we don't live in the world of the free market. Teachers set their prices according to what they think they are worth as opposed to what the customer is willing to pay. If you live in an area with grammar schools you can charge what you want for 11 plus, if you live in London you can charge what you want, if you live in the rest of the country you need to identify your market and charge accordingly. Don't make the mistake of thinking because plumbers charge £100ph teachers can do the same (unless of course they live among our masters in London).

9. krakowiak6

@briancant Thanks for telling us what we didn't already know! But anyhow, I don't see that £25 is unreasonable for any subject anywhere. I would have thought any parent is willing to pay £25 for GCSE outside of London and Surrey. The problem is lots of "student" teachers and non native English tutors are advertising rates lower than £20 an hour so they probably get the jobs in quite a lot of cases. This is for tutoring websites. I wouldn't charge less than £25 myself and I certainly wouldn't pay any plumber £100 per hour.

10. briancant

briancant Occasional commenter

Er.... I'm assuming when the OP says he charges £25/hr for a group class he means per person. So if that class is 5 students that would be £125/ph. Please correct me if my assumption is wrong.

Piranha likes this.
  11. krakowiak6

Oh I see. Sorry. Group classes. But the OP doesn't say where they are based. And it is an A level class but the OP also doesn't state which subject it is. If the OP is somewhere in the SOuth of the UK I'd still say £25 for a group class was OK (so long as there were not more than about 3 students). In the North of the UK probably £15 or £16 may be better then. So you are correct.

12. alsoamum

alsoamum Occasional commenter

I'm assuming that the parents who use me appreciate the fact I have a teaching degree and nearly 20 years experience in the classroom.

They are happy to outsource to me and many other primary tutors because they realise we might do a better job than they would. I'm booked up until 2024, so I'm obviously providing a worthwhile service.

I've tutored my own child, it was really stressful for us both and I now use a tutor for her because I know the results are better when she works with someone who isn't also her parent.

13. BG54

BG54 New commenter

This reinforces the impression I get, as a tutor, from both parents and children that children - rightly or wrongly - are often sceptical of their parents' ability to tutor them effectively.

14. frustum

frustum Star commenter

Child (reception): Mrs H, when I do my spellings, should I start them with a capital letter or a lower case letter?
    Mrs H: Lower case.
    (Mrs H turns to me to explain.)
    Me: Oh, I know, she just won't have it from me!

alsoamum likes this.
  15. krakowiak6

I wouldn't want to do group classes because they would be difficult to set up. How can you arrange students who don't know each other to come at the same time. Most students want a 1 2 1 with a tutor I think. That's what you pay the tutor for. Group classes must be coming into fashion due to the enormous cost to buy a home and living costs in Britain is all I can say. If it wernt so blooming expensive to buy a silly old house, and council tax was paid for out of taxes instead of flat rating every home, then people might be able to survive without group classes.

16. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

There has been some speculation about this, so would you mind telling us about how many you have in a group, please? Even two students would give a very respectable £50 per hour and above that it becomes a very high rate of pay. If I were a parent looking for tuition, I would rather pay (say) £45 for an individual lesson than £25 for a group one.

17. frustum

frustum Star commenter

My daughter is studying an extra subject out of school with two friends; we're paying £15 each, which seems reasonable. (I'm assuming that if any of them drop out, the others will have to pay more.)

18. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

Yes, I agree, that seems fair.

19. Joseph.John

Joseph.John New commenter

I think the problem you are having is probably seasonal and also to do with how you are advertising. Schools have only just started and so you will have to wait a while before the new students start looking for you. If you have good advertising and marketing skills it won't be long before you get some new students in. That being said I don't have many A level students coming to me , mostly GCSE and BTEC, but this is probably because I mostly will only take students from year 12, A Level and not year 13. What I am saying is that people could be viewing you as an A Level Tutor and not a GCSE Tutor, so you may need to market yourself differently. I don't think you need to lower your price, once you start lowering your price you will get hustlers coming to you, as the saying goes, stand your ground or get messed around. At the moment I have only 2 GCSE students and 3 students at KS3, so I also have to wait.