1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

reducing part time hours

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by tomjones79, Jul 17, 2011.

1. tomjones79

tomjones79 New commenter

Can a part-time teachers hours be reduced (however small e.g. from 0.85 to 0.8) if they do not wish them to be.

I was fairly certain that they couldn't be (unless a flexible contract had previously been signed) as surely this could be discrimination against part-time staff. Also don't the employer and employee have to agree to a change in contract.
    However, SLT and the LA are still saying they can reduce part-time hours as they need to.

If anyone can confirm I am right, could you also point me to any legal documentation that will back this up.

2. tomjones79

tomjones79 New commenter

Can a part-time teachers hours be reduced (however small e.g. from 0.85 to 0.8) if they do not wish them to be.

I was fairly certain that they couldn't be (unless a flexible contract had previously been signed) as surely this could be discrimination against part-time staff. Also don't the employer and employee have to agree to a change in contract.
    However, SLT and the LA are still saying they can reduce part-time hours as they need to.

If anyone can confirm I am right, could you also point me to any legal documentation that will back this up.