1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Reduced veggies

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by angiebabe, Feb 18, 2012.

1. angiebabe

angiebabe New commenter

I'm on a bit of a 'trying to be more healthy' kick (notice the word trying - very telling). Anyway I always look in the reduced veg section at tescos and see what is on offer, this way I am more likely to make soups or other creations (some work some do not). I made some amazing tomatoe soup last week with vine tomatoes.
    This week there were some great bargains. I bought 2 cabbages 36p each - just going to cook these off and freeze in portions for myself and my brother - whose wife is away at the moment. I also got 5 avocados for 16p each. 4 raw organic beetroots and some fennel.
    I've never cooked with fennel before so havent a clue what to do with them. The beetroots are pretty hard so should keep for a good while, will probably cook them through and freeze them too for salads etc.
    Anyone else do this?

2. angiebabe

angiebabe New commenter

I'm on a bit of a 'trying to be more healthy' kick (notice the word trying - very telling). Anyway I always look in the reduced veg section at tescos and see what is on offer, this way I am more likely to make soups or other creations (some work some do not). I made some amazing tomatoe soup last week with vine tomatoes.
    This week there were some great bargains. I bought 2 cabbages 36p each - just going to cook these off and freeze in portions for myself and my brother - whose wife is away at the moment. I also got 5 avocados for 16p each. 4 raw organic beetroots and some fennel.
    I've never cooked with fennel before so havent a clue what to do with them. The beetroots are pretty hard so should keep for a good while, will probably cook them through and freeze them too for salads etc.
    Anyone else do this?

3. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

Fennel can be roasted, but is also really good in a salad - I like to combine it with orange (especially blood orange -m just segment the orange, finely shred the fennel and add a light joghurt dressing.
    Your beetroot should be fine for a while left in a cool dark place. I use them in salads - but raw. If I cook them it is in something like a veggie bake.

4. henriette

henriette New commenter

One of my favourite ways with fennel (I love the stuff and use it as often as I can get away with it in a household that doesn't like it!) is to put a base of very finely shredded fennel on a platter, top with tuna (flaked, well drained tinned tuna or thinly sliced fresh, seared tuna if you can run to it) and dress with a thick, mustardy vinaigrette. Serve with crusty bread.
    Deelish.

5. I love fennel and bought a bagful for aout 50p recently. Here's some of the ways I used them:
    -I quartered some and poached them in stock as a side
    - Very finely shredded in a salad
    - Added to stews/ stocks because they add a fabulous flavour
    - Made a fennel and leek soup (utterly delicious but they overwhelmed the leeks)
    - Part of a vegetable lasagne
    - Added to a chickpea and tamarind curry(I liked it but no one else in the house did)
    I've still got a couple left, they are going into a stir fry and to bulk up a spag bol.