1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Reduced Timetable Issue

Discussion in 'NQTs and new teachers' started by AutumnSunshine, Jul 2, 2012.

1. Hello everyone.
    I'm sure this will have been addressed before but looking briefly through the topics I couldn't see an answer.
    Can a school ask/expect you to be doing anything during your PPA/planning/non contact time? I was under the impression that an NQT should use this time constructively themselves, planning, observing etc. Can the school timetable you to do something that is not necessarily teaching, but would none the less take you away from your planning time? For example LSA type work?

Thanks.

2. Hello everyone.
    I'm sure this will have been addressed before but looking briefly through the topics I couldn't see an answer.
    Can a school ask/expect you to be doing anything during your PPA/planning/non contact time? I was under the impression that an NQT should use this time constructively themselves, planning, observing etc. Can the school timetable you to do something that is not necessarily teaching, but would none the less take you away from your planning time? For example LSA type work?

Thanks.

3. PPA is for PPA.
    The 10% NQT time can be spent in other ways, agreed with the mentor- observations of other classes, school visits, etc- or PPA if that's a priority

4. Vanadesse

Vanadesse New commenter

I was told by my university that during that time they cannot and should not ask you to do any form of cover work because that's not what that time is for. This time is a non-negotiable, it's something that they have to provide you with by law. It's for you to use constructively to support your development so like the previous poster, this could be observing others, in your school or another, CPD events and training, meetings with other staff to improve your development like subject co-ordinators, SENCO etc.

Though, from what I know, the 10% NQT time doesn't necessarily have to be given each week, it could be 'banked' so to speak and taken as a block if you wanted to, for example, go on a one day Literacy course or a two day something or other course.

Has the school timetabled you to do that all the time? It's something that could aid your development but that I wouldn't say that you need each week. Maybe try and speak to the school, agree to do a week or two to aid your development but then stress that there are other things that you feel you need to do in order to develop as an NQT and ask that you don't do it all year. That would be my advice anyway.

5. In short no. Your PPA time is for PPA and you cannot be asked to cover or do other duties. Your NQT time is for NQT activities and again you cannot be asked to cover or do other activities unless the school can show positively that the activity is directly related to your development as a NQT.
    The Sage