1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

reduced rates of pay

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by claire_owen, Jan 31, 2011.

1. Hi
    I recieved my payslip through one of my agencies on Friday as normal only to be shocked at a reduction in pay. I emailed the agency asking if this was an admin error and kindly asking for my pay to be re-issued.
    However, taking to the agency today they said that that it the rate of pay I will be paid now for SOME schools ie the new schools I am sent to. I said I thought the fact that they had not told me I would be on a reduced rate of pay for that school was unprofessional and I was expecting more on my payslip. I also said that other agencies always tell me if they have negociated a lower rate of pay with the school before I accept the job.
    I tried to negociate back to my normal rate or half way between but she would not budge. I said that they now pay me the lowest out of other agencies and they haven't reduced their rates, she wouldn't budge. She said she doesn't know how those agencies manage that. I implied that I might not accept work at this new rate, she wouldn't budge! I implied very nicely if their comission was now less too and she said it is. This is £10 a day less which is £200 a month not just a few pounds! In the end I said I would like them to tell me the rate of pay before I accept work and they agreed they would. I am not sure what to do now as they obviously not bothered by loosing me. She stated my contract states from £90 but we agreed more a rate higher than that at out meeting, unfortunately I have not got the contract.
    She stated that supply isn't what it used to be and they are being undercut by other agencies. I understand this and I do work for less than my usual rate when I go to certain schools with other agencies too. I understand this but I have seven years teaching experience, I am not an NQT and I think I am a very good supply teacher yet I am constantly expected to work for less. Soon I am not going to be able to afford to do supply at all.
    I understand this, but the situation is simply not fair. I have been supplying on and off for seven years and it makes me cross that these new agencies are going in offering schools teachers at cheap rates and under-cutting other agencies who are trying to provide quality and fairness. They just want to make a quick buck.
    I need to be sponsored by a school to work through the county council in my area and was thinking about writing to some schools and asking if they need a supply teacher, so leaving out the agencies but I am not sure schools will be interested if they have to sponsor me.
    Not sure what to do about the agency talked about above either-suggestions?

2. Hi
    I recieved my payslip through one of my agencies on Friday as normal only to be shocked at a reduction in pay. I emailed the agency asking if this was an admin error and kindly asking for my pay to be re-issued.
    However, taking to the agency today they said that that it the rate of pay I will be paid now for SOME schools ie the new schools I am sent to. I said I thought the fact that they had not told me I would be on a reduced rate of pay for that school was unprofessional and I was expecting more on my payslip. I also said that other agencies always tell me if they have negociated a lower rate of pay with the school before I accept the job.
    I tried to negociate back to my normal rate or half way between but she would not budge. I said that they now pay me the lowest out of other agencies and they haven't reduced their rates, she wouldn't budge. She said she doesn't know how those agencies manage that. I implied that I might not accept work at this new rate, she wouldn't budge! I implied very nicely if their comission was now less too and she said it is. This is £10 a day less which is £200 a month not just a few pounds! In the end I said I would like them to tell me the rate of pay before I accept work and they agreed they would. I am not sure what to do now as they obviously not bothered by loosing me. She stated my contract states from £90 but we agreed more a rate higher than that at out meeting, unfortunately I have not got the contract.
    She stated that supply isn't what it used to be and they are being undercut by other agencies. I understand this and I do work for less than my usual rate when I go to certain schools with other agencies too. I understand this but I have seven years teaching experience, I am not an NQT and I think I am a very good supply teacher yet I am constantly expected to work for less. Soon I am not going to be able to afford to do supply at all.
    I understand this, but the situation is simply not fair. I have been supplying on and off for seven years and it makes me cross that these new agencies are going in offering schools teachers at cheap rates and under-cutting other agencies who are trying to provide quality and fairness. They just want to make a quick buck.
    I need to be sponsored by a school to work through the county council in my area and was thinking about writing to some schools and asking if they need a supply teacher, so leaving out the agencies but I am not sure schools will be interested if they have to sponsor me.
    Not sure what to do about the agency talked about above either-suggestions?

3. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Although the agency I work for offers very good rates in some schools, other schools are dictating pay rates to them, and are reducing pay. CS rates (assuming one wishes to accept them) vary considerably between schools, with £10 an hour being the current lowest. I won't work for that particular rate. At least one local Academy is insisting on £10 a day below the agency's flat rate, which (as you point out) is £200 a month less pay. I too have not been informed when schools have switched from scale to flat rate, so I make a point of politely asking about pay rate every time I get a phone call.