1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Reduced NQT year?

Discussion in 'NQTs and new teachers' started by mrbrightside842, Jun 30, 2018.

1. mrbrightside842

mrbrightside842 New commenter

I’ve recently completed my teacher training by doing the assessment only route which I’ve passed and have been awarded QTS. Due to doing the AO route, I’m entitled to complete my NQT over a term rather than a year. The school who have employed me have said I can do this or over a year, whichever I’d prefer. What would you recommend? I’m assuming my pay wouldn’t move up until I’ve been in the job for 12 months anyways. The thought of getting it over and done with by Christmas is tempting, but then I don’t know if it would be too much work and if my timetable would increase after Christmas but I’d remain on an NQT wage. I’m undecided!

2. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

Depends how strongly the school do link the pay progression to completing NQT- they are technically separate and based on meeting performance targets from previous appraisals . They also take place usually once a year in September based on the previous year's performance so don't assume an automatic increase in January if you complete induction. You need to consider the value of a reduced timetable - support and access to training against a salary increase and that is a personal decision.

mrbrightside842 likes this.