1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Reduced marking has improved exam results

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Mangleworzle, Mar 24, 2016.

1. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

http://www.theguardian.com/education/2016/mar/22/teaching-crisis-school-what-keep-them

Latest news from the Foot-of-the-Stairs research lab - whodathunkit?

"...the school’s proportion of pupils achieving five A*-C grade GCSEs including English and maths suddenly dipped from ...60% to 55% .......................... That year we had the most intensive year 11 raising attainment plans for English and maths ever. No strategy was left unemployed, and what it was doing was taking the responsibility away from the students, developing a learned helplessness."

Yebbut, it can't be right can it? Busy-work means managers can write it down and show Ofsted and keep their jobs despite having a negative effect on staff and pupils.

2. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

This will be ignored by managers across the nation.

Shouldn't be but it's the only strategy they've got.

3. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

Well, the drawback is that it is only a sample size of one...

Seeing as much more rigourous research on many facets of teaching isn't even known about (notably by those in charge of teaching and learning!) , never mind ignored, I wouldn't hold out much hope on this one...

4. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

Most management teams lack the courage and/or intelligence to try anything different to reciting the standard dimwits mantra, it is heartening to see some schools going against the tide and succeeding.

5. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

I recently changed schools from one that is really struggling to one that is the best in the area.
    I am utterly convinced we teach less and they learn more.
    And in "teach" I include all the faffy planning, intensive marking, what went well etc etc.

But do they learn more because we teach less?