1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Redoing the kitchen

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by lemonsqueeezy, Mar 6, 2011.

1. It's no good - I'm gonna have to spend some money on the kitchen. It's a flat roofed extension so I think it'll need a new skylight and electrics as well.
    I'm not looking forward to this, and got as far as B&Q then lost interest.I strolled round Ikea the other day but as none looked like my kitchen I just couldn't figure out where to start.
    Are there any must see websites for design hints.
    Plus has anyone got advice on how to stay sane while it's being done (we'll be doing it ourselves so it could take a while)
    Thanks in advance....

2. It's no good - I'm gonna have to spend some money on the kitchen. It's a flat roofed extension so I think it'll need a new skylight and electrics as well.
    I'm not looking forward to this, and got as far as B&Q then lost interest.I strolled round Ikea the other day but as none looked like my kitchen I just couldn't figure out where to start.
    Are there any must see websites for design hints.
    Plus has anyone got advice on how to stay sane while it's being done (we'll be doing it ourselves so it could take a while)
    Thanks in advance....

3. Download Ikea's planner software and play! Even if you don't get an Ikea kitchen, it gives you an idea of what can fit where in the space you have.

4. ljr

ljr New commenter

I have just paid the deposit on my new kitchen - I'm very excited! At long last I can have all the things I want in a kitchen. If you Google 'kitchen planning' you will get lots of sites with ideas to help with planning. I have gone for a Wickes kitchen - we liked the product, but also the designer in the store was really helpful,he took our measurements & came up with some suggestions for some changes we could make to the layout & then gave us a computer printout of what our new kitchen would like. He then came to measure up himself - just to make sure. We have since been back to him twice and made radical changes to his design, but he has been great about it - each time drawing up a new plan for us. We shall be arranging the fitting ourselves, but so far I am very happy with the service we have had. We have got to have a new floor, so will be without a kitchen for at least 4 weeks, I intend freezing lots of meals in the lead up time, the microwave and my trusty Remoska will come into their own. Our local Indian, Chinese & fish'nchip shop will probably be seeing quite a bit of us. Friends are lined up to help out with the washing, it will be chaotic, but I am soooo looking forward to it.

5. marshypops

marshypops New commenter

If it's not too cheeky of me, ljr, how much will it be? I'm planning a new kitchen in the next year.

6. Don't know how big your house is or whether you have a dining room or spare room. Friends of mine who've done it themselves basically set up an alternative elsewhere.
    A fridge, a microwave, the toaster, a cupboard in another room means that you don't try to cook in the hell-hole more than occasionally. It's used mainly for dishwashing. And a substantial investment in reasonably sturdy paper plates during particularly stressful plumbing related times can save your head from exploding.

7. angel09

angel09 New commenter

lol had to reply to this as I've done the same thing with my 25 yrs fridge freezer, everything in kitchen, done this summer, is new including floor except this. The guy who comes to service it every so often has one himself! My brother's new kitchen/fitted fridge is no more after only a couple of years and has problem finding a replacement that fits.
    OP, get a couple of these companies, (best to tell them you have to be out of house in one hour or some will do the 'hard sell' for hours) to come and measure and do the plans for you for free, they will print out the designs etc and make valid suggestions, you dont have to tell them that you are planning to do it yourself, just maybe. I shopped around but in the end got builders to do the whole job as I had removed a wall to have a larger kitchen/diner.

8. Thanks for all you thoughts - I'll have to get stuck in with the software I guess. I'm a little scared as to how much it will cost overall. Will keep you posted when I make progress![​IMG]

9. I managed for around 2k for a reasonable sized kitchen including oven, dishwasher and fridge freezer (Ikea). Didn't include fitting as OH's dad and brother in law did that bit!

10. modelmaker

modelmaker Occasional commenter

I did our kitchen about 12 years ago. It was impossible before and brilliant after. Previously massive built-in cupboards you could never get to anything at the back. Tore them all out, made a lot of space, and loads of worksurface.
    My sweetheart spent much of her time while I was doing the hard graft at the shops finding things that would reduce our new-found workspace to much the same as it was before but prettier.
    There are a few pieces of advice to give when revisiting a kitchen design. It's expensive, so think long and hard how it will work for you. Will you find yourself tripping over the dishwasher door at a key moment in a meal when your partner wants to help clear up?
    Is it really that difficult screwing cabinets together and fitting them? If you can't fit them yourself, can you put them together? A child could.
    Workspace is everthing when you need it. Make the most of it.