1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Red poppy or white poppy

Discussion in 'Personal' started by les25paul, Nov 9, 2017.

1. les25paul

les25paul Star commenter

“It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge. War endures. As well ask men what they think of stone. War was always here. Before man was, war waited for him. The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner. That is the way it was and will be. That way and not some other way.”

― Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

Better education, reducing poverty, greater tolerance for other beliefs, better trade agreements, etc are all factors that might prevent some wars and should be explored. But the quote above by some clever American playwright (whom English teachers will know more about then me) suggests that armed conflicts will never be totally eradicated. There will always be the need for people (and animals) to defend freedoms and ways of life and sometimes pay a high price. Thats why I support the red poppy (and purple) to remember this. Money raised from their sale also goes to practical support (and I like practical things).

Peace is a very noble aim and no one supports it more then those who have to go to war. It might be an impossible dream (warning another quote is on its way) but that no reason not to hope and why I can appreciate the true meaning of the white poppy.

Of course you don't to actually have to wear the poppy to support it, what is important is that you understand its meaning and put some dosh in the box. I always lose my red poppy within a day of buying it anyway.

Here's the quote from a rather good song

"And the world will be better for this
    That one man, scorned and covered with scars
    Still strove with his last ounce of courage
    To reach the unreachable star"

Sort of speaks for whatever shade of poppy you choose to wear or not, I think.

2. xmal

xmal Occasional commenter

Being resolutely defeated by the allies and millions of dead prevented a nazi revival. Having your country absolutely destroyed and losing another generation (this time women and children as well as young men) tends to make you think twice.

silkywave and elledriver like this.
  3. maggie m

maggie m Occasional commenter

I too had an uncle that died in 1916 age 22 and buy a poppy in his memory. I remember my grandmother talking about him clearly she never forgot. I only really gave him more than a passing thought when I researched my family history. I have his photo he looks so young, and I have the letter his mother got telling her the location of his grave. I also think of my grandfather( other side of family) who survived WW1.There are photos of him taken in1915 and later about 1920, he looks to have aged a lot in between.

4. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

Germany doesn't have as much history as other states do. It's among the youngest states in the world. There's a lot of history that took place in the land it occupies, but relatively little as the nation it eventually became.

It's a land of proud people that was frequently invaded by the ruthless and wasn't able to develop a collective identity until the defeat of Napoleon; and boy did they have some scores to settle.

Had they not had those experiences, maybe WW1 wouldn't have happened and maybe Hitler would have been regarded as the laughing stock he was eventually shown to be, earlier in his political career.

The Nazis brought a shame on the German people they have no intention of repeating and do their utmost to educate about how it happened.

lexus300 likes this.
  5. sparklepig2002

sparklepig2002 Star commenter

I have one too. I have tried to find out more about the soldier who is named on the certificate.

6. burajda

burajda Lead commenter

7. artboyusa

artboyusa Lead commenter

Had some ups and downs. Lady Artboy too. On holiday in the Cotswolds right now. Reading. Drawing. Walking. Drinking beer. We appreciate the landscape and the dog-centric lifestyle.

lanokia likes this.
  8. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

9. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

Sorry to hear that (downs) nice to hear your enjoying the Cotswolds though. Walking up here in the moors is a favourite pastime of mine, plus the exercise and fresh air and the quietude. Take care and enjoy your break.

lanokia and artboyusa like this.
  10. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

Just let anyone try and stop me.

wanet and artboyusa like this.
  11. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

That article is a heap of ordure full of illogical links and personal hobby-horses.
    Probably the only accurate bit is this "Thirty per cent “are failing to support the [Royal British Legion] campaign”, according to the Express, with the main reason given that they “feel bullied into supporting the appeal”
    Which in the circumstances is mildly amusing

12. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

White, last year when I was Mayor, I had to lay 3 wreaths of red poppies and I wore a ~red poppy as I couldn't find any white or purple ones. I'm still musing about wearing both red and white this year.

13. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Is it possible - just possible, that someone could start a thread without you jumping in with a totally idiotic link to Brexit??

We've had tax evasion and Remembrance poppies. What's next? Bake Off or Strictly?

14. peter12171

peter12171 Lead commenter

On the contrary, that is a very simplistic overview of the history of the EU. It was originally set up as a development of the European Coal and Steel Community, which was established to create an area of free trade. Rebuilding the economies of Europe after WW2 was more important than setting up a body to prevent future wars (although it was hoped that this would be a result of the free trade area).

The World Wars, especially the second, were fought to allow people and countries to have freedom. Ironically the EU, by ignoring successive warnings that the people of Europe do not want to continue down the route that those in charge want it to go down, could be seen as becoming almost exactly what was being fought against during WW2. Taking a different slant would result in the argument "If you voted to remain in the EU, don't bother wearing a poppy".

wanet, artboyusa and nomad like this.
  15. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Poor FW can't f@rt without blaming Brexit.

lexus300 and nomad like this.
  16. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Or hear one.

17. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

Oddly enough, Brexit is the nickname I gave our dog.

18. xmal

xmal Occasional commenter

Without exception, the most idiotic thing I've read on these pages.

lexus300 and nomad like this.
  19. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Absolutely!

I blame crass ignorance and the Guardian.

... Hang on - its the same thing!

peter12171 and lexus300 like this.
  20. calamansi

calamansi Lead commenter

Oh Christ.

Is that the DefinitiveLast Word on the reaaon for the second wrld wae