1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Red poppy or white poppy

Discussion in 'Personal' started by les25paul, Nov 9, 2017.

1. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

I was thinking that myself...

2. peter12171

peter12171 Lead commenter

I choose to wear one, and always have. I used to observe the silence on 11 November whichever day it occured on long before it became popular (I remember for many years people only observed it on the Sunday).

I haven’t personally see any examples of wearing one being enforced by people, and I would object if people did try to do this. This is one reason why I avoid doing things for Comic Relief and Children in Need because people are pretty much expected to get involved. Charitable giving should come of one’s own volition.

lanokia and artboyusa like this.
  3. artboyusa

artboyusa Lead commenter

Long story, lex. Good to see you're still around and going strong.

4. cheesypop

cheesypop Occasional commenter

I have one of those Somme 100 poppies.
    Made from shell casings found at the Somme, came with a certificate with the name of someone who died on the first day of battle.
    I don’t think war is the answer, but I believe in remembrance. Ultimately, I would not give my life for my country and I have massive respect for those who do.

sparklepig2002 likes this.
  5. lunarita

lunarita Established commenter

I don't wear a poppy anymore but I loved those poppy displays and would have liked to buy one of those. And I agree, remembrance is important, but I don't think poppies are necessary for that and don't think all of those we see proudly worn on lapels are really about the true spirrit of remembrance.

I remember reading or hearing years ago that those who appear on BBC at this time of year, be they celebrities or otherwise. are given a poppy before they go on camera. It's that kind of obligation without sentiment that puts me off.

6. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

Good to see you again too Mr Artboy!

I sometimes wear a red one as my father did, but quietly if you get my drift. He saw serious action and lost many mates in WW2. As a consequence, there isn't a single day goes by when I don't think of him and his experiences, and how lucky I am to be here and live the fortunate life that I do thanks to the extraordinary things that so many "ordinary" people did a little over 70 years ago. For me, it's an everyday thing. Not just at this time of the year. The poppies are almost superfluous.

7. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

Through better history education. Through better education about the consequences of war and of voting for war mongering politicians. I'm thinking that such education should be directed at voting age people.

I listened to the story behind Picasso's Guernica last week. That I could almost reach pension age without previously knowing anything about the atrocity the Nazis did at Franco's request and how the Catholic church supported the Franco regime, shows how poorly history was taught when I was at school.

red_observer and HelenREMfan like this.
  8. elledriver

elledriver Lead commenter

I'm not convinced that history lessons at school will stop wars.. It hasn't made much impression so far.
    I was never taught it at school but have known about it since I was 15/16 or so. Condor Legion/Guernica and the basic Spanish Civil War is general knowledge. Sometimes you can do stuff for yourself.

9. red_observer

red_observer Lead commenter

You don’t have to wear any poppy to show your respect for our fallen....

10. red_observer

red_observer Lead commenter

I still favour education. It’s stopped a revival of Nazism as a major force in Germany though wouldn’t you agree?

EmanuelShadrack likes this.
  11. Dragonlady30

Dragonlady30 Star commenter

Of course you don't!

red_observer likes this.
  12. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

I'm sitting here (in our living room) looking at a display of 5 of the Tower of London poppies we bought back in 2014. They provide a measure of remembrance every day...

InkyP, lunarita and Dragonlady30 like this.
  13. lunarita

lunarita Established commenter

I remember buying one in Edinburgh years ago, but don't think I've seen them since.

14. Duke of York

Eh?

The point I was trying to make, although I accept I did so poorly, was that schools have the opportunity to engage children with history and help them make informed decisions about politics in later life.

They didn't at my school. Have things changed since they put that pillock Gove in charge and converted schools into cash cows?

red_observer likes this.
  15. Duke of York

Do you own a sheet of white paper and a pair of scissors?

16. elledriver

i don'r know.Nazism didn't go well the last time and there is/was a collective guilt. Is there some special way of teaching history in Germany?

17. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

You too Art. Hope all is well?

18. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

Stopped them from holding power but they still exist and in numbers.

19. elledriver

History tens to be taught in a already in a non-jingoistic way. More emotions than dates and politics. Bottom line, war is not a good thing.
    What are they doing wrong at the moment?
    He isn't responsible for education. We have had Morgan and Greening since then.
    (Know your history)

20. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

What have you got against pilocks then? ;)