1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Red poppy or white poppy

Discussion in 'Personal' started by les25paul, Nov 9, 2017.

1. Wotton

Wotton Established commenter

Red. I had family in the last war and family in more recent conflicts.

2. grumbleweed

grumbleweed Established commenter

Neither for me.

coffeekid likes this.
  3. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

That's so true. Some people, especially in prominent political places, might wear it as a virtue signal, and therefore a sort of absolution of any contribution to diminishing (world) peace themselves.

4. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Lead commenter

I'm wearing a purple one but have contributed money for all three.

Didactylos4 likes this.
  5. emilystrange

emilystrange Star commenter

none. i've never been able to keep one for longer than 5 mins and i don't like wearing brooches. plus the expectation that i will wear one isn't going to work with me.

red_observer and coffeekid like this.
  6. RuthTom

RuthTom New commenter

None. I've come to dislike the enforced wearing aspect of it. I've seen white poppies on sale at an alternative bookshop.

7. Dragonlady30

Dragonlady30 Star commenter

This whole idea of expectation is ridiculous. My dad went to fight for freedom. Freedom to wear a red poppy, a white poppy, a purple poppy, all three or non at all. Any one who criticizes does not understand what the two world wars were all about.

8. RuthTom

RuthTom New commenter

Exactly so, Dragon Lady. When people start moaning or criticising because other people aren't wearing a red poppy, then they are very much missing the point.

Dragonlady30 and Didactylos4 like this.
  9. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

I think we should wear poppies for remembrance, but maybe the money raised in their sale should be invested in prevention of war, rather than to support ex-servicemen, who should in my opinion, be properly supported by the government if it sends them to war.

Nanook_rubs_it likes this.
  10. elledriver

elledriver Lead commenter

How would you invest in the prevention of war?

11. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

Red. A nice sparkly brooch, and a paper one that I buy each year.

BelleDuJour likes this.
  12. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Senior commenter

The RBL has been strongly criticised for being slow to release funds to needy ex-servicemen, and has also been accused of hoarding money rather than distributing it. I dislike and avoid any charity affair that involves making unecessary trinkets out of plastic, just to be thrown away or end up as litter after the event. If I feel the need to wear a poppy I wear one that lives on the mantelpiece and give my money to other similar charities. I really don't like the pressure to show how patriotic you are by wearing a popppy while it's still practically summer. I lost a great uncle in the first world war and think of him often and wonder what he would have been like. I bought one of the Tower of London poppies as my way of remembering him.

HelenREMfan and Didactylos4 like this.
  13. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

I also bought a Tower of London poppy in memory of a great uncle who died in WW1. I discovered him during some family history research. He was only 21 and dug trenches.

HelenREMfan and Dragonlady30 like this.
  14. Doitforfree

Maybe you're my didstant relative Dunty!

Dunteachin likes this.
  15. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

Red for me.
    I bought a small poppy lapel badge about three years ago which I wear as it stays on - I don’t cope with the pins.

However I do buy a new poppy every year.

16. Doitforfree

When my great aunt (his sister) died we found a book containing cuttings from newspapers and so on. For years the family had put a notice in memorium in the paper on the anniversry of his death, yet my Grandma and my great aunt never ever mentioned him. We only found out about him after they died. They also had another brother who died in childhood so they must have been devastated to lose the second in the war.

Dunteachin likes this.
  17. artboyusa

artboyusa Lead commenter

Red.
    People can wear or not wear whatever they like. Otherwise, what was it all for?

18. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

19. peter12171

peter12171 Lead commenter

The red poppy serves the same purpose. It is to remember all victims of war, the futlilty of war and as a statement that we should learn from the past to do our best to avoid confoict in the future.

(Unfortunately I think there will always be war and conflict, but that’s another discussion).

20. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

Indeed.
    Where have you been Art? Not heard from you for ages.