1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Red poppy or white poppy

Discussion in 'Personal' started by les25paul, Nov 9, 2017.

1. les25paul

les25paul Star commenter

The red poppy as we all know is a symbol of remembrance for those who have died or suffered during various wars. It includes families and friends of service personnel and the Cenotaph ceremony will also include representatives from the Merchant Navy, Fire Service and Fishing Fleets. I'm not sure if there has ever been representative from Germany but expect that one would be welcome (as would Argentine and Iraqi representatives in time). In short its not just for military remembrance.

The money raised by poppy sales goes towards those who have been effected in some way by war.

http://www.britishlegion.org.uk/rem...MIi8TTzZKx1wIVK7HtCh1OdgXkEAAYASAAEgKQnfD_BwE

The White poppy is not as recent as many people think, it was set up in the 1930s by the mothers/daughters/wives of fallen servicemen. Its meant to represent peace and the hope that a major war doesn't happen again. But I believe and disappointed that the money raised doesn't go to help those in need but to promote the poppy (but would be happy to be proved wrong). I also fear that its true meaning might have been hijacked by political groups.

http://www.ppu.org.uk/whitepoppy/index.html

I shall wear a red poppy but if people want to wear a white one as a symbol of peace thats fine by me provided its not worn as a conflicting and political statement (which is pretty much the view of the British Legion). However I would like to see the money raised go towards civilian victims of war and the sale of such poppies at a different time in the year.

There was also a purple poppy for animal suffering in the war (something I have no qualms about supporting). But with respect to the poppy symbol this was changed to a purple paw and made an all year round symbol. A good and considerate move.

https://www.animalaidshop.org.uk/accessories/the-purple-poppy

Who will wear a red/white/purple poppy(paw), or all three and why?

2. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

Red poppy for me, purchased last week at our local (I am never sure how much to give these days - I contemplated a fiver, but instead emptied my trouser pocket which I think was rather less. I then felt guilty that I might have added to the burden of the mostly elderly ladies who collect the takings after the weekend.

3. slingshotsally

slingshotsally Star commenter

I'd wear all three- but have only seen red poppies, so that is what I'm wearing at the moment.

needabreak likes this.
  4. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Lead commenter

I'm happy to donate to the charities which support ex-servicemen but don't and won't wear a poppy.

CraigCarterSmith and sbkrobson like this.
  5. Calpurnia99

Calpurnia99 Star commenter

6. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

I only ever see the red one.

Which I won't wear. Quaker. Pacifist. Not for me.

I could give to the charity but I don't give randomly and the RBL isn't one of my favoured few.

red_observer likes this.
  7. Postduif

Postduif Occasional commenter

I wear a white poppy as I am a pacifist, and I buy but do not wear a red poppy because I believe in paying my dues, and it was the [largely conscript] army of the second world war which guaranteed my freedom to be a pacifist. My unworn red poppy will go on to the local Cenotaph next Sunday - "lest we forget", but I shall be wearing my white poppy at the time, so as to say "never again".

xmal, HelenREMfan and needabreak like this.
  8. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

I wear a red one because that covers it for me. A friend of mine who is a strong proponent of the white poppy also wears a red one. It doesn't have to be either /or.

needabreak likes this.
  9. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Sorry-long rambly post
    There is a deeper and more cynical point to many charities, which ,if I were to raise here, would detract from my virtue in thinking about our lost and damaged Servicemen, those who ultimately provided me with the wealth of stability and peace that I benefit from.

But I don't care if my point diminishes my virtue of just giving. Every 11.11, I don't just remember, but I also feel sad that our government continues to believe that symbolic Remembrance will detract from the fact that the families of those most recently fallen are not helped enough by the governement. It's joke. Look at this map. I'm talking about families of these people.
    http://www.forces.net/remembrance
    in particular, look at the timeline of forces sent out in conflict. It's not just about WW1&2, it's about multiple thousands of people thereafter

This is the man who fell.
    This is the poppy that reminds us of the man who fell
    This is the money that bought the poppy that reminds us of the man who fell.
    This is the box that holds the money that bought the poppy that reminds us of the man who fell.
    This is the woman who proffers the box that holds the money that bought the poppy that reminds us of the man who fell.
    This is the ripped and shredded coat that clothes the woman who proffers the box that holds the money that bought the poppy that reminds us of the man who fell.
    This is the benefits cheque that wont cover a new coat to clothe the woman who proffers the box that holds the money that bought the poppy that reminds us of the man who fell.
    This is the government who decided on the benefit cheque that wont cover a new coat to clothe the woman who proffers the box that holds the money that bought the poppy that reminds us of the man who fell.
    This is the loose change from me that covers up for the government who decided on the benefit cheque that wont cover a new coat to clothe the woman who proffers the box that holds the money that bought the poppy that reminds us of the man who fell.
    This is my poppy that reminds me of the government who fail the woman left by the man who fell.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2017
  10. sparklepig2002

sparklepig2002 Star commenter

Red. I would wear a purple one if I had the opportunity, but I've never seen one.

11. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Red poppy.

As for the white poppy; in his 1945 "Notes on Nationalism", Orwell wrote that pacifists cannot accept the statement "Those who abjure violence can do so only because others are committing violence on their behalf.", despite it being "grossly obvious."

artboyusa likes this.
  12. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

Neither
    I contribute but do not wear one

red_observer and sparkleghirl like this.
  13. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Lead commenter

Yet the members of the government who fail this woman are proud wearers of the poppy. It's that superficiality that puts me off - I KNOW many people who wear it do for genuine and admirable reasons but for lots of others it's just a show. I used to wear one happily but not now, as it has become more 'fashionable' for celebrities to flaunt it and more obligatory for wear one from at least a week beforehand, I have gone off it.

Someone posted here a week or two back about how the poppy was actually chosen as a distraction to avoid people dwelling on the horrors or war. it's forgetting the horrors of war that makes war a very real possibility in the future.

peter12171, les25paul and sbkrobson like this.
  14. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

Red always.

artboyusa likes this.
  15. Nanook_rubs_it

Nanook_rubs_it Lead commenter

I buy a red as I have childhood memories of WW1 veterans sitting in their wheel chairs, in the sun, at the home at the top of Star & Garter Hill in Richmond. I also had many great uncles in WW1 and my father is a veteran of Suez & Cyprus. I wear it for them not anybody else.

16. elledriver

elledriver Lead commenter

Always red.

17. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

18. vinnie24

vinnie24 Established commenter

Always white.

red_observer likes this.
  19. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

I've never seen a white one for sale.