1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Red or green ink for marking?

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by madoldbat, Sep 25, 2010.

1. madoldbat

madoldbat New commenter

What are your views on the importance of using red or green ink when marking and writing comments in secondary schools? Is there any evidence to show that it makes a difference?

2. I had a phase of using purple but soon came back to red - it is much easier to see, for one thing, but am not sure why purple did not work.

3. I don't see what's wrong with just marking in red. The only reason some whacky educationalists are against it is because they say it's 'too negative', but surely how negative it is depends on the comments themselves? Writing 'this is rubbish' in green is a lot more negative than writing 'you could have done a bit better' in red. And if the kids deserve negative comments, then so be it. We really have to stop molycoddling them and treating them as over sensitive little darlings who can't take the slightest bit of criticism, otherwise life in the real world will quickly destroy them.

4. gruoch

gruoch New commenter

I mark in red because I have to as an exam marker and am at the bottom of the pile. My supervisor marks in green. I have taken the habit into school.

5. tafkam

tafkam Occasional commenter

I mark in red because it's easy to see.
    I have no objection to anyone else writing in whatever colour they wish.
    I would object if someone tried to dictate to me one way or the other.

6. Henriettawasp

Henriettawasp New commenter

I mark in red because I have lost all my other colour pens (green, pruple, turquoise) and because every pack of ten black and blue biros has at least two red.

7. Karvol

Karvol Occasional commenter

I would go along with gruoch's view and mark in red. Green is only used when remarking scripts in order to differentiate from the blue or black ink used normally.
    Funnily enough, when I have to further remark examination scripts already marked in green I have to use blue.

8. Positive Comment - Green
    Negative Comment - Red
    That's what I try to use, however it ends up being whatever colour I can find first on my desk!

9. I have a lovely set of 10 marking pens ( stabilo fineliners if anyone is interested!) which come in a range of colours. Today's marking will all be in a delicate shade of pale green which matches my humour. I might move onto bright orange later in the week or perhaps lilac if the mood takes me [​IMG]

10. Henriettawasp

Henriettawasp New commenter

See. I had a set of those (expensive, but gorgeous) but they disappeared from my room after about a week.

Wait a minute... [​IMG]

11. It wasn't me, honest!
    I keep mine at home as the same would happen if I took them in!

12. I mark in green purely because that is what I was told to mark in during my PGCE. I don't think it really matters myself as long as it is a colour that is not black or blue!

13. I use pink because I like it. Otherwise red.

14. ScienceGuy

ScienceGuy Occasional commenter

I usually mark in red but will use green / purple if I am moderating (or can not find another pen). The bic 4 colour pens are my main marking pen though it is frustrating if one colour runs out first (usually red!)

15. I have been teaching for so long that I remember the good old days when you could buy individual refills for the Bic pens, ScienceGuy, so you never had to scrap them! I tried to find the refills recently but was unsuccessful!

16. School marking policy dictates that we mark in red for consistency across the school. I liked marking in green though.

17. YesMrBronson

YesMrBronson New commenter

I mark in blood. Where is your commitment?!

18. Karvol

Karvol Occasional commenter

You still have some left? I feel you are not committed enough sir.

19. I think you need to go with whatever the school suggests... and if they don't you do your own thing.

I think one important issue that no one has commented on yet, is that if you have a colour blind child in your class, you may well find they can't see your red comments and therefore won't heed them!

I recall my NQT year many moons ago when I used red because it was the 'done thing' and after 4 weeks, one Y11 boy asked why he was never given feedback like everyone else.. it was then that I learnt for the first time of his colourblindness!!

20. blazer

blazer Star commenter

It dioesn't matter what colour you use, the kids never read the comments or take any notice of them. The only thing they are interested in is the mark!