1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Red light...caught on camera

Discussion in 'Personal' started by mancminx, Nov 26, 2011.

1. mancminx

mancminx New commenter

Think I was caught on camera going through a red traffic light earlier. Speed limit 50, i was doing 45. Possible I went through on amber with a quick turn to red, then 'flash'. If i tried to break, i think i'd have skidded. Have I any defence if im caught? Road surface was damp!
    Thanks

2. Cervinia

Cervinia Occasional commenter

So you weren't driving at a safe speed given the conditions?

I get really fed up of hearing poor drivers come up with poor excuses for their poor driving.

3. doomzebra

doomzebra Occasional commenter

Try the "I'd have skidded" defence - they might hopefully throw a dangerous driving charge into the mix

4. fantastischfish

fantastischfish Established commenter

I love the pompous self-righteousness of the replies so far on this thread. Perfect, are we? Never made a mistake? Never ballsed up whilst driving: messed up whilst reverse parking, been distracted and not realise the light had changed from green to red? I'm sure the drivers behind you were cursing you and calling you a poor driver (as well as many other things) if you have.
    Sometimes, the light changes when you are too close to it to stop in time. The OP was driving under the speed limit. 45mph is not an unsafe speed on a wet surface in a 50mph zone; it's a reasonable reduction of the speed and cuts the stopping distance significantly. Perhaps the OP could have been more aware that the light was changing and made a better attempt to slow and stop earlier, but we've all been in the position where we've just snuck through the lights, especially if we know the waiting time at the particular set of lights is long.
    I've been in your situation before, except that I attempted to stopped and ended up over the line. The road was quiet, so I backed up and wait for the lights to change. I didn't get a ticket even though I'm sure the camera caught me.

5. lunarita

lunarita Established commenter

Isn't that why it goes amber first?
    As far as I'm aware, amber doesn't mean 'sneak through quickly', it means 'stop, the light is about to turn red'.

6. fantastischfish

Of course it does. And if we were all perfect, we'd be able to stop every time. But occasionally, you can be at just to wrong distance from the light to be able to stop in time, regardless of the amber warning.

7. kareneliot

kareneliot Occasional commenter

But only to amber, not red. Amber means stop.
    And when we get caught, we just take the fine and points. Like speeodng, that's the deal on offer.

8. fantastischfish

And where did I suggest that the OP shouldn't accept their fine, if it is given?
    I simply pointed out that we all make mistakes in our driving, and there's no need for posters to be so pompous and self-righteous.

9. lurk_much

lurk_much Occasional commenter

Yep, there is a brand of prissy particularly loved by the road safety loons.
    Bollocks to them, they can take their joy from knowing better, whining about death on the roads and endangering the poor littul mites on tricycles and I shalln't give a stuff.

10. lunarita

If you are driving at a speed which means you are unable to safely stop in time on an amber warning, then surely you are driving too fast, either for the conditions or for your capabilities, regardless of the official speed limit?

11. Cervinia

I wonder if you'll take such an attitude if something happens to you or your family.

12. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

Doesn't that depend on how close to the lights you are when they turn amber?
    If you see them when you are further from the lights then you can stop.
    If you catch sight of them turning amber just before you pass through them then it may well not be safe to stop. Part of being a good driver is knowing what the right decision is. In some cases stopping too quickly could cause an accident.

13. lunarita

That's the point of the amber.
    If you're too close to safely stop when it turns amber, you continue and you're close enough to get through before red.
    If you're too far away to get through before it goes red, then you're far enough away to stop on amber.

it scares me to read how little some people know or care about road safety rules.

14. But sometimes you miss a split second of the light turning amber, because you are checking your rear view mirror, or watching what someone else indicating into your lane is doing, etc etc. By the time you look back it is too late and unsafe to slam the breaks on, so you go through and it just turns to red as you do.
    I know exactly what the OP means and it does not mean they are a terrible driver - to me it means they are a reactive driver, who knows how to respond in the safest manner for those around them.
    Usually doing this and nipping through in that split second is safer (no cars will be coming yet, no pedestrians will be crossing yet - there's always a few seconds extra added on before their lights change) than slamming your breaks on, potentially skidding/losing control of the car, and potentially causing a pile up behind you as people also have to slam their breaks on.
    Obviously Im not talking about people who 'chance' the red lights and go through very late - that is daft and dangerous - just the ones who feel it is too late to stop on the amber and are a split second into the red light.

15. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

@Lunarita. Thank you for clarifying your original comment. Sometimes it is not appropriate to stop on amber. That is what I was saying.

16. lunarita

Yes. The point is that if you're driving safely and attentive to signals, there should be no need to sneak through on red.

Sneaking through on red means you either don't understand what the amber light means, or you decided to ignore it, or you mis-judged the distance you had to go before getting through.
    All of these are unsafe driving.

17. lurk_much

Bingo!

18. lurk_much

Okay, maybe a bit harsh, but why can't the road safety brigade manage irony, humour and shades of grey?

19. Cervinia

Sorry, I'm not amused by the stupidity and **** driving that I see on the roads every single day. Nobody is perfect but everyone should learn from their mistakes. The OP is too busy making excuses to do this .

20. Phoenixchild

Phoenixchild Occasional commenter

I remember on a driving lesson the lights flicking to amber and red as I went through them. I asked my instructor should I have braked and he said "no", that in that instance the safest thing was to continue as I had done......suppose he couldn't have been very good at his job since I and many others passed their driving test under his instruction.....