1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Red Cabbage

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by pineapple sage, Nov 6, 2011.

1. I love red cabbage raw but I think I will try braising it after all the comments about it. Thanks for the science- I won't be tempted to leave the vinegar out of the recipe.

2. inky

inky Lead commenter

You can use white wine instead of vinegar - the important thing is the balance of sweet/acid flavours.
    We always have red cabbage at Christmas. I cook it the day before and reheat it on Christmas Day. Don't believe people who say it should still be crunchy. Braised red cabbage should be soft.

3. Pickle it

4. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Oh yes! Stir fires are crunchy, braised dishes are soft.
    I love braised red cabbage with duck. In fact will do some next week when we have friends over for lunch (it will be duck) and I shall make enough to freeze the rest for Christmas.

5. inky

inky Lead commenter

Red cabbage and duck are brilliant together, I agree.

6. BelleDuJour

And mashed potato. Has to be creamy mash! Duck will be in a bramble sauce.

7. egyptgirl

egyptgirl Senior commenter

I love star anise in braised cabbage. Drooolll...

8. BelleDuJour

I might just slip a star anise into my bramble sauce. I reckon that will taste rather lovely!

9. Heat it back through lil. It should be fine even today or tomorrow.
    We usually have ours with soft squidgy dauphinoise potatoes and long slow roasted shoulder of pork.
    Star anise is a lovely addition and now I need to go to the farm shop and buy some..... and I have medlars to play with!!
    Too little time!