1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Red Cabbage

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by anon294, Dec 19, 2010.

1. I'm cooking red cabbage with onion/apple to go with Christmas lunch. I've tried cooking it
    several times but I can't seem to get the right texture/bite for the cabbage. Any tips?

2. henriette

henriette New commenter

we did this recently - have you done a forum search?

3. henriette

henriette New commenter

4. Thank you for this. Very helpful.
    [​IMG]

5. Can't remember if I posted it on the other thread - a secret German tip - use applemus instead of whole apples.
    (i.e. stew some apples then add to the cabbage - it goes all silky and appley but still retains some crunch).
    However - a proper German red cabbage dish is quite soft so we still braise it for aaaaaaaaaaages.
    Depends on what you like [​IMG]

6. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

It does need long slow cooking. I cook a sliced red onion in butter very slowly until soft, add the finely sliced cabbage, a broken up cinnamon stick, some nutmeg, a peeled and chopped bramley apple, a couple of spoonfuls of brown sugar and about 5 fl oz of red wine vinegar, the same of water. Oh and a pinch of salt, bring to the boil then either cook on a very low heat or cook in the oven, I'd give it 2-3 hours.

7. Yep it easily needs that long.
    I add a splash of red wine and lemon juice and I use "kandis" - which is this stuff.
    What do you call it in English? Sugar crystals?
    [​IMG]
    I also add a bay leaf, some pepper corns and a couple of cloves (plus cinnamon and nutmeg).

8. On the cooker sits a pot with:
    two shallots, finely chopped and cooked 'til clear in olive oil;
    followed a table spoon of carraway seeds;
    half a red cabbage;
    dried cherries (a moment of madness in Tesco but I thought why not);
    2 tbsp each of white wine vinegar and water;
    salt and pepper.
    Will keep the apple in reserve until I've had a little taste in a couple of hours. [​IMG]

9. henriette

henriette New commenter

Mine is sitting braising gently as well!
    For the first time today I can smell something - good old vinegar!!

10. 2 hours and lovely cabbage. Thank you! The dried cherries (50g) work a treat.[​IMG]