1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Red cabbage - in the slow cooker

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by InkyP, Feb 4, 2011.

1. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

Can you cook red cabbage in the slow cooker? I usually make it in the oven with onions, apple and whatever else I fancy (cranberries, raisins, chestnuts etc.) and a little vinegar and a dob of butter. Would there be enough liquid for clow cooking and if so how long would you recommend?

2. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

Can you cook red cabbage in the slow cooker? I usually make it in the oven with onions, apple and whatever else I fancy (cranberries, raisins, chestnuts etc.) and a little vinegar and a dob of butter. Would there be enough liquid for clow cooking and if so how long would you recommend?

3. YES!
    Red cabbage slow cooks a treat.
    I do it with onion, apple and sometimes a little garlic - no berries or chestnuts! - and cider vinegar.
    And serve with belly pork mmmmm
    I want some now!

4. Oh, and how long?
    As long as you like! That's the joy of a slow cooker!
    Mine is usually on for about 6 hours give or take an hour!

5. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

Thanks, I'll do it tomorrow - with sausages. The slow cooker is a new aquisition, I had some beautifully cooked lamb shanks tonight.

6. The beauty of red cabbage is the longer you cook it, the yummier it is, so it is ideal for a slow cooker.
    I don't actually do it in the slow cooker (force of habit) but it will work no problems.
    Enjoy!