1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Recurrent impetigo driving me mad!

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Jellyfish5469, Mar 2, 2016.

1. Jellyfish5469

Jellyfish5469 New commenter

apologies if this is in the wrong place!

In the last 15 months I have had impetigo 6 times and it is rotten! Each time it has come back I have used fucidin but it just won't see to die, I get it at random times (in middle of summer holiday) and never in the same place though always on my lips. It was diagnosed 15 months ago by my gp who gave me antibiotics and the fucidin, was this meant to eliminate it - I'm not a serial doctors apt person so only ever go in when I clock up a few complaints! Perhaps my own fault but doesn't stop me feeling miserable about it! It comes at a time when I really need support from friends but I'm dreading going anywhere in this state :(

2. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Go back.

3. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

Yep. Back to the GP for you.
    In the mean time, use boiled water and salt and a clean flannel to bathe the affected area.

4. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

You need to go back to your GP ASAP and get them to refer you to a dermatologist. I can understand how rotten you feel. It's a horrible thing to have.

5. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

I would say a sterile swab that should be discarded immediately afterwards.

6. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

As long as it's not cotton wool.
    Muslin squares, maybe.

Lascarina likes this.
  7. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

Your doctor won't thank you for that. We all know how and why it happens, but the appointments diary only allows for a ten minute consultation, which is fine if there's only one complaint to deal with. If you go in with a list, it means there isn't the time to deal with each of your ailments properly, appointments over-run and everyone gets stressed because of it.

8. artboyusa

artboyusa Star commenter

Oh, wow. I feel your pain. I caught it a few years back (tip: when you're enjoying the Family Breakfast at Premier Inn and thinking how cute all the little kids are, running around and touching the cutlery with their unwashed, infected little hands well, those brats are plague bearers) and it was awful. So unpleasant. Went away with antibiotics, thank god. Go back and get another course and keep going back till its cured.

Dragonlady30 and coffeekid like this.
  9. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

"those brats are plague bearers"

Heh heh.

Not to mention the lice.

10. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

OP - get the current batch of impetigo dealt with.
    Then stock up on hand gel.
    Carry it everywhere. Use it with wild abandon.

11. Jellyfish5469

Jellyfish5469 New commenter

Great advice thanks everyone! Managed to get a GP appt today, with the dermatologist @Lascarina if she doesn't suggest it should I?
    I'm so annoyed because I consider myself to be a very clean person and have hand gel everywhere I go it's made me feel so dirty!

Dragonlady30 and coffeekid like this.
  12. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

If you have had lots of courses of antibiotics and the impetigo is resistant to them then you do need to be referred, I think.

13. artboyusa

artboyusa Star commenter

Can't be as dirty as having impetigo made me feel. Unclean! Unclean!

14. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

One of my sons had hard to treat impetigo. After failed attempts with the cream the doctor gave us Hibiscrub, which is like a diluted form of the stuff they sterilise your skin with before an operation. It's danergous stuff - you haven't got to get it on your brain (so not in your eyes) but it worked a treat. The impetigo went in a couple of days, never to return. Because it goes in the bath it gets onto every bit of skin, except your head, so it works really well.

15. grumbleweed

grumbleweed Star commenter

Have you had any swabs taken? There are different bacteria that cause impetigo and one is often found up the nose so sometimes nasal antibiotics are required if this is the one causing your problem. I presume it's the same reason they swab your nose prior to surgery (or at least my local does)
    also recurrence suggests another underlying condition.. I have severe eczema and the two often go together.

16. Spiritwalkerness

Spiritwalkerness Star commenter

Are you sure it's that dangerous? I use it regularly on the horses (and me) for washing wounds and the like.

17. armandine2

armandine2 Established commenter

It never really goes, but six recurrences seems unfair!

18. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Are they traditionally attired Muslins?

19. marymoocow

marymoocow Star commenter

We use Hibiscrub at work for patients with MRSA. The swab of your nose is to detect MRSA and MSSA Grumbleweed. If it is detected then you get a spray for your nose and hibiscrub for the rest of your body.

20. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

Active Manuka honey (High Factor .. 15UMF at least) is known to destroy MRSA in petri dishes. It can be used on impetigo too. You apply it as an ointment and then cover with gauze if necessary (maybe use a piece of cloth on your pillow for mess from facial applications.
    You apply it daily for 4-7 days. Use cotton buds to apply it and use a new one each time you dip into the jar.
    You can also buy sterile manuka honey in tubes from Health Food shops, intended for medicinal use. Manuka honey impregnated dressings are also available and some people order them for use after surgery or use on skin ulceration.

Jellyfish5469 likes this.