1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice
  3. The Teacher Q&A will be closing soon.

If you have any information that you would like to keep or refer to in the future please can you copy and paste the information to a format suitable for you to save or take screen shots of the questions and responses you are interested in.

Don’t forget you can still use the rest of the forums on theTes Community to post questions and get the advice, help and support you require from your peers for all your teaching needs.

Dismiss Notice

Recruitment slumps as figures show a 10% fall in salaries since 2003

Discussion in 'Education news' started by thekillers1, Feb 9, 2019.

1. thekillers1

thekillers1 Lead commenter

2. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

No connection. Move along.

3. thekillers1

Huh?

4. thekillers1

D75DC40A-688A-490A-B2FD-BE6AE6488AC9.jpeg

5. sparkleghirl

It was an attempt at humour, or irony, or something.
    Clearly it wasn't a very good one.

agathamorse and thekillers1 like this.
  6. thekillers1

I totally suck. Sorry :-(

agathamorse and sparkleghirl like this.
  7. thekillers1

To be fair, the state would consider this statement as a matter of fact, especially under Cameron’s leadershit. In addition, I’m clearly an idiot for not acknowledging your humour so I’m at fault on this occasion. You have permission to insult me on this post (don’t worry about the TES police - they’ve threatened me so many times that nothing actually happened yet!).

agathamorse likes this.
  8. Summerhols6

Summerhols6 Occasional commenter

so funny! Sorry that was humour too!

9. FredfromFrance

FredfromFrance New commenter

I think the underlying point that both of you are expressing is the fact that this situation is just so farcical that satire and reality are just too close to tell apart recently...

10. sparkleghirl

Relax! Doesn't matter. Noone ever gets my jokes.

agathamorse likes this.
  11. thekillers1

617A628B-90B7-485F-B105-72FBF8C31011.jpeg

12. PintPlease

PintPlease New commenter

I am NQT+1 in the south if England. I am coping with workload, accepting of the sometimes disruptive behaviour of teenagers, willing to be sympathetic to the sometimes barking mad ideas coming from people above my pay-grade and am prepared to jump through most of the hoops placed before me by well-intentioned colleagues. What is going to force me out of teaching is the fact that most months i run out of money about 2 weeks before pay-day.

I came to teaching later in life and so have certain outgoings a recent graduate would not have. When making the decision to train as a teacher i was advised by many that as a mature person with lots of useful and relevant life experience i could expect to be earning a reasonable salary quite quickly after qualifying. This is clearly not the case - schools simply cannot afford to pay me more than other (younger NQTs) and indeed the more i think about it, why would they?

The fact is, the salary for an early career teacher is simply too low to allow me to live without losing money. No matter how much i enjoy my job (and i do!) i owe it to my family to earn enough to feed them and provide a secure home. I can't do this on £25.5k.

Looks like education will be without me soon.

phlogiston, mrajlong, blazer and 6 others like this.
  13. JL48

JL48 Star commenter

If you like teaching, then just leave the state sector. If you're in the south of England, you have plenty of options.

Shedman and agathamorse like this.
  14. maggie m

maggie m Established commenter

My MP came knocking on the door last evening no idea why. I had harsh words to say to the slimey toad about teachers pay and MP's pay. He told me he didn't like my attitude. Oh boy he has lead a sheltered life. I didn't even get started with attitude.

15. Summerhols6

Summerhols6 Occasional commenter

Tories are all James Hunts!

Mrsmumbles and thekillers1 like this.
  16. ridleyrumpus

ridleyrumpus Lead commenter

I saw an advert the other day for the Aldi Graduate Management programme.

Starting salary £44,000 + Audi

On target earnings after 5 years £75,0000.

Now no doubt you have to work hard, but so do I, I am willing to bet the work life balance us better at Aldi.

Is it any wonder that graduates are saying no to £twenry odd thousand and no life?

17. applecrumblebumble

applecrumblebumble Lead commenter

As it always is the government will have to play catch up, my only concern would be that if after brexit there is not enough money from taxes then we may have reached a tipping point of no return. The government may not be able to - why am I even talking about government, you have to prise it out of the greedy academies who cannot even pay last years miserly sum. We’ve got higher pension contributions and this years pay rise to come, crash and burn time I think.

phlogiston likes this.
  18. Clive_Candy

Clive_Candy Occasional commenter

The only reason we were where we were 10 years ago was because we had a government who gave a monkey's about state education and pumped some money into it - though God knows enough of that went into the pockets of those who put up the new buildings.

I can't see there being another government like that anytime soon so I'll be suggesting a job at Aldi to anyone who asks.

19. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

My daughter's BF is an electrician. Just got a new job on 45k.

She started her first job in Sept. Started on 34k with pay rising nearly 10k a year as she progresses.

After 8 years i've finally been granted UPS1.

phlogiston and agathamorse like this.
  20. JL48

JL48 Star commenter

At £23 720, no wonder they have to inflate the starting salary with training grants etc to get people to do the job.