1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

recruitment question

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by speaker2, Jan 19, 2020.

1. speaker2

speaker2 New commenter

In your experience, are reputable international schools keen to employ the best teachers, regardless of whether the candidate is older (in their 50s) - in England, it seems to be that more and more schools just want the cheapest teachers and hence disregard older teachers. I have known several teachers who have secured jobs overseas in recent years, but they are all fairly new to the teaching profession (ie 2 to 5 years experience in UK).

RainbowWings and Figmo like this.
  2. tb9605

tb9605 Established commenter

I suspect it depends on the beliefs of whomever is doing the recruitment. You will get some who value experience, whereas one group CEO I was talking to recently swore by some research he had read which said that teachers are at their peak 8 years after qualifying, and thus tended aim for late 20s/early30s teachers.

Where I am there is no difference in your starting salary: we get paid the same whether you've been teaching 2 years or 20. You can argue the unfairness of that, for sure, but it does mean that older teachers get a look in.

3. gulfgolf

gulfgolf Established commenter

How long is a piece of string? There really isn’t one answer here.

4. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

I was retired and 59 when I got my latest (and probably last) international teaching job. As regular readers of the pachyderm's online ramblings will know well, when I was teaching in China, I had a colleague who retired at the age of 68. So I would say no, speaker2, on the whole your age is not a big problem if you are not quite as young as you used to be.

5. 576

576 Established commenter

I would argue that it's fairer.
    You're all doing the same job, you get the same pay.
    More experienced teachers aren't automatically better.

dumbbells66, tb9605 and T0nyGT like this.
  6. february31st

february31st Established commenter

Should someone with PGCEi be paid the same as a teacher with a PGCE/QTS/Induction?

The international schools circuit has nothing to do with education today its a multi billion dollar industry where human labour is the most expensive commodity. Teaching has been reduced to the same level as working in a franchise of a well known burger restaurant.

Just check to see the number of Bilingual schools opening up next year in Shanghai/Suzhou. The schools are looking to employ young/cheap/obedient/silent drones as instructors, there will be no teachers left in the industry.

7. markedout

markedout Occasional commenter

I got my first international post at 50. I'm not dead yet!

8. stopwatch

stopwatch Lead commenter

I got my 4 overseas posts at 44, 47, 50 and my last one at 59.
    I retired, by choice, at 61

9. Mainwaring

Mainwaring Lead commenter

Arriving in August to take up a new headship I discovered that we we were short of a sixth form teacher. Contacting a well-qualified chap who had placed a personal ad in the TES, I discovered that his school had folded and left him unemployed.

'I'm 52 so I'm expensive,' he warned me.
    'Not to us,' I assured him. 'We pay everybody peanuts.'

He proved to be a great English teacher, an outrageously flamboyant theatre director and, being gay, a safe and much-loved head of girls' boarding.

tb9605 and Figmo like this.
  10. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

The Sage of Walmington-On-Sea is absolutely right, as per usual. As most experienced international principals know well, "Age and guile beat youth, innocence and a bad haircut".

11. rouxx

rouxx Lead commenter

Harder to get my last overseas post (at 54) but was offered from all three interviews. And had two further interview requests after I had accepted.

It was just harder to get the interviews in the first place. One school actually contacted me to say they would be interested in interviewing but at 54, I was nearing the 55 cut off for visa and even if they did get me a two year visa then I needed to know that an extension of contract was unlikely.

But most definitely not impossible to get a post in your 50s/60s.

12. february31st

february31st Established commenter

'Not to us,' I assured him. 'We pay everybody peanuts.'

Here in Shanghai the schools are only offering 'chicken feed' as salary.