1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Recruitment - Qatar

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by SexyChicken, May 19, 2011.

1. SexyChicken

SexyChicken New commenter

I'm looking at moving out to Qatar within the next 8 months. I notice all jobs for Qatar at the moment are for September 2011. Is there much recruitment throughout the academic year or would I have to leave it until next September?

The packages I have read about offer accommodation. Do you have to take the accommodation or would you be able to take an allowance? (my husband has accommodation with his job - non teaching).

Thanks

2. SexyChicken

I'm looking at moving out to Qatar within the next 8 months. I notice all jobs for Qatar at the moment are for September 2011. Is there much recruitment throughout the academic year or would I have to leave it until next September?

The packages I have read about offer accommodation. Do you have to take the accommodation or would you be able to take an allowance? (my husband has accommodation with his job - non teaching).

Thanks

3. Very few schools offer an allowance. Some will offer an allowance if you have worked there for a year or 2 but it is quite rare in Qatar based on my experiences.
    Most jobs recruit for September with few openings in the academic year.
    However lots of people do runners from Qatar so you may get lucky?...
    Im sure you could get some supply work after september though if you drop your cv at the schools in person.

4. SexyChicken

Thank you for the quick response. You also touched on my next question about supply! Is there much supply work available and how much would you expect to be paid? I have read a lot of the Qatar posts on here and it seems if would be beneficial to know a little about the school beforehand so was thinking supply would be a good way forward.

5. gulfgolf

gulfgolf Established commenter

A bit of respectful different opinions...
    If your husband is on a full package with housing and family benefits, your school will not duplicate these benefits whether with an apartment, an allowance or whatever. You will receive a salary only. It's the way it works pretty much worldwide, and it's called being a local hire. A few searches might clear up some details.
    There are not that many people doing runners from the good schools; some schools haven't had a single runner in years. Some run from the bad schools, but do you really want to scoop up their jobs? Sometimes jobs are available for different reasons like sudden major illnesses, but these are hard to plan for.
    Your best bet may indeed be doing supply for a while, getting to know the schools, and then applying at the right moment for a full time post starting Sep 2012. If you've already proven yourself at the school, you have a great shot at landing the post. Supply rates vary at the different schools, but I think 500QR and up is about right for a day. Excuse my uncertainty, I haven't been paying attention to this point lately. Anyone have a clearer answer on supply pay at specific schools?
    And, just to clear things up, all the Qatar Foundation schools and some of the better schools do offer a housing allowance option. This won't matter to you as your husband gets housing for the family, but it's good to be clear.
    Good luck. I hope you enjoy Doha as much as I do.