1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Recruitment- How does your school do it?

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by tyler durden, May 2, 2011.

1. tyler durden

tyler durden New commenter

Just a general enquiry as to how your schools go about recruiting new staff. This year the place I work at has relied on adverts on our school website only. Is this a common approach amongst other international schools and is it successful?

(it hasn't been for us as we're still looking for staff)

2. gulfgolf

gulfgolf Established commenter

It's not common for the big schools, and I have trouble imagining how it would work for a small school. Who's going to look at the school website except people who are already connected to the school, unless there's been some hint in external media it would be worth taking a look?
    In my experience, most schools do a combination of ads in different organization's newspapers, on different websites, and they sign up with at least one, usually more, recruiting agencies. This gets the word out.

3. MisterMaker

MisterMaker Occasional commenter

Not surprised if that's the approach taken.
    To hire decent staff you need to set the budget to £1-2000, depending on the number being recuited; more if you are just looking for one or two teachers. Typical schools will have 10 to 20% turnover of staff (more if it's a dodgy place) so a school of average size will be looking for 5 to 10 per year.
    Agencies are last resort and only for those schools that don't have the expertise / skills / inclination to do it themselves.
    Fairs are OK.
    To get a full consulation you'll need to pay me (I'm very good at getting staff!)[​IMG]

4. tyler durden

tyler durden New commenter

I'm not on here recruiting guys- just curious as to the way our management have been doing things. I wanted to see if it was a common approach amongst international schools.

5. Principal-Skinner

Principal-Skinner Occasional commenter

[​IMG]No problems that I'm aware of. Springfield High is fully staffed for the current year thank you.
    I do recommend Mr Maker for your recruitment needs, sterling work! [​IMG]

6. Principal-Skinner

Principal-Skinner Occasional commenter

Clearly it isn't.

7. percy topliss

percy topliss Occasional commenter

I think that one thing that can spoil a schools recruitment policy is a head who doesn't listen to his senior staff. I remember years ago working at a good school in Bangkok. The head was a double barrelled buffoon who insisted on employing young single girls for some reason! The majority of whom of lasted a year at the most, it is horses for courses and though I may get chastised here Bangkok tends not to be the place for a young single lady.

Conversely continously employing single men in their late 40's doesn't really send the right idea either but it happens!

Brickbats at the ready....
    Perce

8. SMT dude

SMT dude New commenter

Slavering over the very idea, Perce...
    but shake off these fantasies and get back to the nappies. Not for you, ever again, the heady world of single men in their late forties meeting the fresh new recruits of the double-barrelled one.
    I met him once, at a conference, while he was head of the school to which you refer. He had just relieved us of a single lady 'of a certain age' whom he recruited to his SMT.
    But I judged it futile to inquire spitefully whether he regretted his choice, for he appeared to be one of those enviable head teachers absolutely impervious to criticism, and impermeable to second thoughts, sheathed in a glowing titanium carapace of self esteem.
    If only I could muster such fortitude, as the latest storm brews in the staff room teacup...

9. percy topliss

percy topliss Occasional commenter

Morning Dude,
    Yes you are right. I have since met many Heads who met this man. He was never one to put himself down or indeed let anyone else do so! Mind you I do remember when he got the boot from said school, the applause from the staff was resounding, after he had gone!

Nappies coming along famously thank you and we three are thoroughly looking forward to a trip to Blighty in a few weeks!

Toodle Pip,

Perce