1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Recruitment Fairs - A Jolly for the Head?

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by Mainwaring, Mar 20, 2011.

1. Mainwaring

Mainwaring Occasional commenter

Another suitcase in another hall.
    Another there-and-back-long-haul.
    Where IS he coming from?
    Funnily enough, David, I've been eating regular meals since I was a babby in Wiggin and like young Pharaoh I've since made sure I've lived in places where the booze is good and cheap, though of course as an overpaid Principal I've always had money to burn. I don't, thank God, have to recruit these days, but arriving at 6.00 am on the redeye from Santiago or Jo'burg followed by a quick change into the old three-piece pinstripe in the loo at Heathrow and grabbing a taxi in time for the nine o´clock interview in Mayfair was never my idea of fun. And as for Christmas, my family despairs because my idea of a 'nice' present is a set of tyres or a chainsaw.

2. SMT dude

SMT dude New commenter

David's question does ***** my conscience.
    I haven't been to a fair for three years or so, and thinking about it, in the light of that thoughtful and sensitive OP from our Greatest Living Kiwi, it's probably not so much because they are expensive and fall at the wrong time of year to be productive for us.
    No, that's merely my excuse.
    The true reason is that interviewing, and trying to remember, three dozen people in two days and trying to keep tabs on all the documentation, and answering phone calls and e mails from school and family while parking the suitcase in a cheerless hotel room is just too tiring and depressing for the old fart I seem to have become.
    Like Cap'n Mainwaring, I eat and drink while on these road trips, porcine parasite that I am. Sorry.
    But as I would be doing the same were I at home, I do not charge to the school those Lucullan extravagances of sandwich and mineral water for lunch in between touting our packidge to Mr Gatling and Mr Cluvis.
    If DG had asked this question about conferences I might have dragged a fleeting cynical smile to my flabby face, but the suggestion that heads go to these manic fairs in order to live high on the hog is just plain silly and nasty.
    DG is probably one of those people who think that prostitutes are people who enjoy a lot of sex and homeless street folk are fresh-air fiends.
    At least his naivety and lack of empathy will preclude anyone ever having to suffer him as an SMT.
    Then again, maybe not.

3. Mainwaring

I'm surprised by the
    of
    and, by implication,
    given that both are evidently far more nomadic than I have ever been.

4. the hippo

the hippo Established commenter Community helper

Is a jolly for the Head always such a bad thing? I am all in favour of jollies for principals who do their jobs really well and who also help me to do mine. I have had the pleasure to work for some principals who deserved any perks, jollies or other benefits that came their way. On the other hand, some were so bad that they do not deserve the flattest glass of mineral water and the stalest sandwich.
    Certain recruitment agencies are (or were) in the habit of "blackballing" schools that did not treat their staff properly. The heads would therefore miss out on these recruitment fair jolllies.
    I have enjoyed the recruitment fairs I have attended. One of the most enjoyable aspects of a fair is the opportunity to meet other international teachers, "network" and swap notes. Perhaps heads also enjoy these opportunities to meet colleagues and I see nothing wrong with that.

5. gulfgolf

gulfgolf Established commenter

A day at a recruiting fair is another day's work.
    I enjoy going to work.
    And I might rather be on the golf course.
    Work is work. There might be tea and bikkies in the staff room on special occasions, but that doesn't turn work into a jolly. Do any of us really look forward to an official school event, even a teacher appreciation dinner with great food and dancing, the way we look forward to a truly free-choice social event with our actual friends? Or even an evening tucked in at home with the family? A special dinner at a recruiting fair might make it slightly more pleasant than a stale sandwich at a recruiting fair, but fair is fair, it's still work.
    And I'm still away from my family. For up to a month. No, I don't enjoy that. At all.
    Still facing enormous pressure to hire the right people. The success of my school, and my own personal reputation, hinge on sifting through hundreds of possibilities to find the right people and convince them to come to my school.
    Still having to somehow keep up with all my normal work. Through e-mail and middle of the night phone calls. Normal work is a full day's work. The recruiting fair is more than a full day's work. The math adds up to not getting to sleep more than a few hours, or letting something slip. Or both.
    And I'm still jetlagged. Still spending a few nights here, few nights there. Still getting on another plane every few days.
    Do I enjoy going? Yes, on balance I do, the say way I enjoy, on balance, going to work every day. But it's far from a jolly.

6. David Getling

David Getling Senior commenter

Calls himself Brooke Bond on other threads. He's so left wing he probably thinks Tony Benn is a Tory.

7. Karvol

Karvol Occasional commenter

And on here?

8. bbibbler

bbibbler New commenter

A school from Düsseldorf was the only european school at the recent Bangkok fair, I did think it was unual to see recuiters travel that far when there are many fairs held in europe and the ME.

9. David Getling

David Getling Senior commenter

So maybe my suspicions, raised by this school, aren't completely groundless.

Karvol, the guy in question goes by the alias John Clarke 1960. I'm sure you recall your chat with him, about IB, in the maths forum.

10. Karvol

Karvol Occasional commenter

Ah, yes, him. He was slightly to the left of the Communist Party, 1918 edition.

11. Mainwaring

I doubt if that's legal even in Thailand. My theory is that they go for the green curry.

12. SMT dude

SMT dude New commenter

[​IMG]