1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Recruitment and selection process - when they don't want you?

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by Miss I, Mar 15, 2012.

1. Currently Acting HoD, been 2nd for three years. Permanent job has come up - get Outstanding lesson observations all the time. Going for an internal post and the have shortlisted seven candidates. Is the Head trying to tell me something?? HoD job - two days process: 1 day for obs (which I am being observed for and not in my own classroom and 1 day interview). Justification given was equal opps.......hmm what do you think?

2. Equal Ops - I think that's code for 'I'm looking for a man - no offence Miss"

3. How really upsetting and demeaning for you - you have my sincere commiserations.

What a bunch of ***.

Might not be what you want but is it time to take your talents somewhere where they will be appreciated?

4. I wouldn't be able to tell from this.
    It may be that they do want you to have this job, but that they are trying to interview in a fashion that shows it is open to anyone to apply and be considered equally (hence "equal opps") rather than give you an obviously favoured position (which you might well have anyway).
    If they do this then they have to treat you the same as everyone else.
    I'd run with it. You'll soon see whether they don't want you or not.

5. robot1

robot1 New commenter

I think the equal opps issue is a very big deal for schools. They do not want to set anything up that could be seen a favourable to you by the other candidates.
    Good luck.

6. DEmsley

DEmsley New commenter

I'd echo Robot1's point.
    Worst case scenario is you don't get it but you've had a great practice at a proper interview process and will get feedback to help you get the HOD job elsewhere.
    Best case scenario is you do get it and you've had a proper interview process so noone can have any cause to complain about the process.
    WIN-WIN as far as I can see.

7. You know the truth - Head's should not be relied upon for integrity!

8. If there is some obligation for Heads to look outside for people to fill posts - I wish someone would let ours know. He has a habbit of getting in PE teachers on supply - to teach any old subject - and then taking them on permanently.
    We could train the Olympic Squad, just from the PE teachers in the ICT Department.

9. Isn't that because PE teachers will know enough ICT to teach it and can teach PE too?

10. Hemmingford - you are correct as always. There is no better qualification for teaching ICT than to know the rules of tag rugby and to be able to blow a whistle.
    I have long accepted this painful truth. [​IMG]
    Just remember - Those who can't - teach. And the people who really know the least of all, are the PE teachers, thus making them the best people to teach in any subject.

11. I have considerable experience in the art of being unwanted.

The other side of this is also true - Those who can - can't teach.

12. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Stay positive!! I was in a very similar situation to you. I had been doing the job on an acting basis - they shortlisted 4 other candidates, two of which were already Heads of department. We too had a gruelling interview process - student council, lesson, in-tray exercise, panel interviews etc - but I got the job!!
    My guess is that they just want to make sure that they get the best person for the job and at HOD level they need to ensure that they go through the process properly.

13. I think it's Those who can - can't teach PE.

14. I can feel a little program coming on.

If Those who can == can't teach AND those who can't == .......etc.
    Those who can - -
    Those who can't ++
    Endif Those who can = 0

15. So you are responsible for Intercal then ?

16. Well i got through the first round - interview tomorrow. Fingers crossed.

17. I was successful. Jeez i'm exhausted. Thank you all for your advice.

18. Congrats :)
    It was worth it all then - and also now you are buttressed against accusations of favourtism etc.
    (Not that there was any, obviously !)

19. It depends. Sometimes it is as you imply a sham. Sometimes they are genuinely looking for the best candidate and that may be the internal candidate.
    The internal candidate has the huge advantage of being a known quantity.
    Some people interview amazingly well and are absolute sh!te ; the worst person I ever worked with was a fabulous interviewee, had lots of relevant experience and great references, and was so bad that it was actually easier to do her job for her rather than clear up after her, it involved less work (and she tried to get her TAs to do the actual teaching while she supposedly "managed" them).
    She was also the only person I ever suggested take the rest of the day off for mental reasons rather than physical ones. (some people are too dedicated and drag themselves in when they should be in bed but she was being so unstable it was affecting the kids - and the staff !)
    This was an extreme case but the good interviewee/**** employee is quite common, and references won't tell you (even though they must know).
    OTOH sometimes some really good people are bad at interview, nervous etc.
    A known quantity, even if one of the externals looks better, can be less of a risk.