1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Recruitment and Retention Point

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by ginger but coping, Jan 4, 2007.

1. Hi everyone! Just wondered if anyone could answer this?:
    I was awarded a recruitment and retention point as of September as well as going up one point on the main scale. Does anyone know if this is likely to be taken away for the next academic year, meaning that although I'll go up another point on the scale, my salary won't increase overall? Does it depend on the school or is there a fixed time for such an award?

2. Hi everyone! Just wondered if anyone could answer this?:
    I was awarded a recruitment and retention point as of September as well as going up one point on the main scale. Does anyone know if this is likely to be taken away for the next academic year, meaning that although I'll go up another point on the scale, my salary won't increase overall? Does it depend on the school or is there a fixed time for such an award?

3. R&R points have to be awarded for a fixed period of time, not exceeding 3 years. They may not be renewed. I find it quite remarkable that your employer / LEA has not given you a clear written statement explaining how long the R&R point is for. However, simply asking your H/T may answer this question.

4. cbl

cbl

Also they are no longer 'points' as such and whatever is awarded can vary depending on the school and will be either Recruitment or Retention but not both!.

In 2006 STPC Doc they are dealt with thus:

"Recruitment and retention incentives and benefits

56.1 Subject to paragraph 56.2 and paragraph 56.3, the relevant body and, where they are the teacher?s employer, the authority, may make such payments or provide other financial assistance, support or benefits to a teacher as they consider necessary as an incentive for the recruitment of new teachers and the retention in their service of existing teachers.

56.2 An incentive for the recruitment of a new teacher that consists of periodic payments or the provision of other benefits over a period of time may only be awarded for a fixed period not exceeding 3 years and must not be renewed.

56.3 An incentive for the retention of an existing teacher that consists of periodic payments or the provision of other benefits over a period of time may only be awarded for a fixed period not exceeding three years and may, in exceptional circumstances, be renewed.

56.4 An award of an allowance made on or before 31st March 2004 for a fixed period shall continue to have effect save that, where that period ends on or after 1st April 2007, it shall cease to have effect on 31st March 2007.

56.5 In this paragraph ?allowance? means a recruitment and retention allowance, or other assistance, support or benefit awarded by the relevant body as an incentive for the recruitment of new teachers or the retention in their service of existing teachers."

though the plain English Section 3 guidance puts it this way:

"Recruitment and retention incentives and benefits (paragraph 56)

110. All recruitment and retention allowances, incentives or benefits awarded to teachers, other than those awarded on a fixed-term basis, ceased to exist on 1 April 2004. However, any recruitment and retention allowances, incentives and benefits previously awarded under paragraphs 24 or 48 of the 2003 Document on a fixed-term basis (including ?golden handcuffs?) continue for the duration of the existing award, to a maximum of three years from 1 April 2004.

111. All new payments for recruitment and retention purposes must be made under the recruitment and retention incentives and benefits provisions in paragraph 56. Payments under this paragraph may only be made for recruitment and retention purposes, not for carrying out specific responsibilities or to supplement pay for other reasons, and should be in line with the relevant body?s pay policy. Relevant bodies are free to determine the value of any award. New awards may only be given for a fixed period of up to three years to new teachers for recruitment purposes, and up to three years for retention purposes. Awards made for retention purposes are renewable in exceptional circumstances. The relevant body or LA should determine the nature of those circumstances as appropriate and cover this in its pay policy.

112. All relevant bodies should consider as part of their pay policy deliberations (see paragraphs 8 ? 10 above):

? whether recruitment and retention incentives and benefits should be offered to new or existing teachers; and
    ? if so, their nature, value, duration and the circumstances in which they will be paid.

113. Where a teacher is given an incentive or benefit under paragraph 54, written notification given at the time of the award should state:

? whether the award is for recruitment or retention;
    ? the nature of the award (cash sums, travel or housing costs etc.);
    ? when/how it will be paid (as applicable);
    ? unless it is a ?one-off? award, the start date and duration of the incentive (taking into account that the maximum of any one award is three years); and
    ? the basis for any uplifts which will be applied (as applicable).

114. Relevant bodies should ensure they have taken action following the April 2004 changes, where teachers? existing awards continued for a period of time. To increase the amount paid for recruitment and retention purposes to any teacher in receipt of a continuing award, relevant bodies may:

? make an additional award under the paragraph 56 provisions; and/or
    ? consider replacing the preserved award with a new, higher award. However, this may not be for a shorter period of time than the original award (or three years if the original award would have run beyond 1 April 2007) without the consent of the teacher."

You should note that it clearly states an award should clarify the nature and duration of the award to the recipient.

5. Yes, really regretting not asking for a written sstatement at the time! Typical of my headteacher also, not giving me one.
    Thanks for your help guys, I'll chat to the head with my newly acquired knowledge!