1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Recruitment Agencies

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by fottoc, Aug 9, 2012.

1. I wonder if I can get some advice from previous jobseekers pertaining to their experiences with recruitment agencies and if they can recommend one. I have been referred to the REC website, which is great, but there is quite a big number of agencies to choose from. I currently live in Central London, but will be moving to the Dockyards in September, and I'm looking for a part-time teaching or training post while attending a part-time Diploma in Education to get my qualification to teach in FE.
    Thanks,
    Otto

2. I wonder if I can get some advice from previous jobseekers pertaining to their experiences with recruitment agencies and if they can recommend one. I have been referred to the REC website, which is great, but there is quite a big number of agencies to choose from. I currently live in Central London, but will be moving to the Dockyards in September, and I'm looking for a part-time teaching or training post while attending a part-time Diploma in Education to get my qualification to teach in FE.
    Thanks,
    Otto

3. scienceteacha

scienceteacha New commenter

Mistake. Register with several. And register now due to the fact the CRB <strike>farce</strike> process takes ages!

4. I think that there are supply agencies and Recruitment agencies, although both might act as the other. Recruitment agencies, like Trent Pearce, used to help schools fill temporary or full-time vacancies; however, this distinction seems now to be blurred by 'temp vacanicies' being offered, which involve working for much lower wages, paid through agencies.
    If you can get some 'insider knowledge', find out which agencies local schools use and join these. From my experience, whether you have much success with agencies (which I did not!) seems to have a lot to do with how qucikly they get you out to work for them. With so many new teachers signing up with agencies all the time, if they do not use you soon, you sink below their radar, and never get used.
    I forgot to add that being a teacher working for supply agencies can be like swimming among sharks, so beware. If any agency tries to get you to do unpaid 'trial days or weeks', just to get your 'face known to schools', just walk away. Doing unpaid work through agencies DOES NOT lead to paid work; all you are doing is giving them free advertising. An agency that treats you badly from the start is reaaly not worth knowing.